2001 Subaru Impreza RS Ej20k MSI all tuned up !!

my01rs-t
MegaSquirt Newbie

2001 Subaru Impreza RS Ej20k MSI all tuned up !!

Post by my01rs-t »

Hello all, my name is Ian Blondeau and I have a Subaru MS success story for you. With the much appreciated help of my good friend and evil genius partner in crime Bradly aka chicksdigwagons, I have an excellent running 2001 Impreza RS swapped with a 1997 jdm Ej20k managed by MSI. The purpose of this vehicle is to learn all of this stuff and have a very fun car that I can pound the snot out of in the woods. I'm a rally head. This car is also my only vehicle and daily driver. Using his evil genius, Brad machined a 24-1 wheel into the back of the oem crank wheel utilizing the oem pick up and location. We built the squirt ourselves and also made the harness. We are running a gm 3 port BCS, some german IACV, GM IAT, wasted spark COP lol, and the rest of the sensors are oem. The setup was amazingly easy I thought. At first we tried using the stock trigger teeth minus a couple and it ran pretty well once started but the timing of them made it very hard to start. Ultimately we ended up with the 24-1 which is working beautifully. I have been running the ve analyzer a ton lately and I'm very happy with the way my map is shaping up. The power feels very linear which is also due to me finally taking the time to shape my wastgate DC map better. I have had this setup running for about 7 months now. I live up in northern michigan so all my tuning in the last months have been getting it to start easily in -20* weather. I'm happy to say I remote start the car every morning and for the most part it fires right up the first time and purs like a kitten. This is of course after many frozen mornings in the car with the laptop. It's a good thing I'm insane and enjoy this kind of torture. The pride is worth every minute of struggle. I have not had it on a dyno and we tuned the car with a AEM WB and an autometer egt gauge with a team rip probe which reads as fast as a tach. I'm running 20lbs with a vf23 ball bearing ihi turbine. I'm seeing ~70% injector DC at 20lbs of boost with 660cc injectors. Here are the mods/specs of what has been done.

1997 jdm Ej20k stock guts
vf23 ball bearing turbo controlled with MS via GM BCS (2nd largest of the ihi vf series turbos great for autoX and rally)
subaru 660cc injectors
04 sti tmic
04 sti exhaust manifold with catless up pipe
Invidia 3" bellmouth catless downpipe
Borla hush 3" exhaust
walbro 225lph
Korbin FPR
Custom inlet pipe
Go Fast Bits lightweight pulleys
Fidanza 9lb flywheel with exedy organic stage 1 clutch
Stock RS trans :shock:
Kyb agx struts with oem RS springs
Cusco rear sway bar with perrin mounts and aluminum pillow ball end links
Whiteline anti lift kit
siebon cf hood with huge sti replica scoop (I logged it and it's worth it for the big scoop)
Mercedes bi xenon hid retrofit
hella 500's and 1000's
V1 sti seats
V6 sti cluster

Here's some pics. This entire car was put together by my father, bradly, myself, and beers.

sequential shift led's. MS rocks !!

Feel free to ask any questions, I'd love to help any way I can.
chicksdigwagons
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 2001 Subaru Impreza RS Ej20k MSI all tuned up !!

Post by chicksdigwagons »

Lots of good memories, and bad too!

It started with a couple years, yes YEARS of :RTFM:

Then a little of this :twisted: followed by more of :RTFM:

Then some of this :?: :?: :?: :evil:

and a lot more :RTFM: :RTFM: :shock:

with a little :idea: :!:

FINALLY! :yeah!: :yeah!:

Glad it's still running strong still. I have a few more ideas too. As always.
my01rs-t
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by my01rs-t »

What cha thinkin? I like new ideas. You gotta take a ride in it soon. Actually it's probably time you drive it.

I need to figure out how to post up my logs and stuff too. I'm such a dumb bum some times. I can build a tune the computer but can't use one. :roll:
my01rs-t
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by my01rs-t »

Made a vid of my shift lights in action last night. Of course when i finally got to doing it, the first led doesn't come on. Any who, here's the vid. I'll take another when I fix the first led.

cododgeneon
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by cododgeneon »

Just wondering if you can post a picture of the Wheel that your buddy cut for you.

Great work by the way
IM SLOW
my01rs-t
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by my01rs-t »

If he has them or can find them I would love to.
subaru2.2
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by subaru2.2 »

Ian like you I am fitting the timing wheel to the crank behind the pulley but on a 2.2 Subaru (non turbo) - Am using a 24-1 wheel - and original sensor - what size teeth did you use - can be an issue if pick-up not working properly - ie if the teeth are not spaced sufficiently - I will laser cut and fix the wheel to the back of the belt pulley once machined to remove existing teeth.

Megasquirt for 2.2 Subaru non turbo
my01rs-t
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by my01rs-t »

The teeth and gap between them are the same size. I think they are roughly 1/8" wide, spaced, and deep.
empiimp
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by empiimp »

Hi Ian - Great story! I'm working on 2002 Subaru WRX (us-spec) EJ20T for a dune buggy with an MS-2/v3.57 using MS2-Extra to try and use the 36-2-2-2 factory wheel. How did you hook up the crank sensor? This engine has a crank sensor with 2 wires in shielded cable.

Paul...
EMPI Imp buggy/Subaru EJ20T/LinkPlus
BCBee buggy/1915 VW/MegaSquirt
http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com
my01rs-t
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by my01rs-t »

I used the same sensor you have with a vr conditioning circuit.