Wiseco 9.25:1 pistons, 0.020"
36-2-2-2 crank gear
Turbo/Intercooler from WRX
Rebuilt/Installed Jan. of 2010

Controller
MSII, ver 3.0
MSIIExtra code
Wasted spark coil pack fired by factory ignitor

This is on a '98 RS 2.5L. I added the turbo/intercooler from a WRX 5 years ago and ran 6 psi of boost with the factory ECU. I had zero issues in those 45,000 miles.

I built a lower compression 2.5 to throw some boost at

I didn't want to hack up the factory wiring so I when at it via the ECU

I forgone the DB37 and wired directly to the MS board

Right before the transplant

It is somewhat anticlimactic since the exchange - it looks like it did before. But I went for guts not aesthetics.

I started it yesterday and it fired up :yeah!: Now on to tuning. I am using the ignitor to fire the coil pack and the STi crank gear (36-2-2-2).
a73camaro
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: '98 Subaru - MSII, v3.0, fuel and spark

Post by a73camaro »

Added a Walbro 255 fuel pump and replaced the stock side feed injectors with 560 cc STi injectors. I got the factory IAC to work along with the factory tach. I've also added a SAAB boost controller.
a73camaro
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by a73camaro »

Here is a tune that is working pretty good for my setup.
Subaru41.msq
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a73camaro
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by a73camaro »

Some more upgrade to report. I am running a mixture of premium pump gas and E85 (10:3 ratio). It bumps the octane from 91 to 95 at a cost of 7% more required fuel.

I built a knock detection circuit and it is working. But it could be better.
Knock.png

I got the EGT working. I am using an AD595AQ Type K Thermocouple amplifier and was pretty basic to wire.
EGT.png
It is really cool to be adding this functionality to my MS. Here is everything working together. I am feeling very confident about throwing on a larger turbo that is just sitting on my work bench. :D
All Together.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
subiemsII
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by subiemsII »

Is the 3.0 a better board than the 3.57 ?
Have you changed this tune since and did you dyno this to see what HP you are putting out?
How is the engine how many miles do you have on the engine since the computer was intalled?
a73camaro
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by a73camaro »

Hi there, the 3.0 board is one that you build and test. The 3.57 is a "already done for you" board utilizing surface mount components. You loose the small proto area when going to a 3.57 board. The 3.0 that you DIY is $150 less.

The tune can always be better so I have changed it a few times since I got it running good. I got about 5000 miles on the odometer since I added the MS. No dyno runs.
a73camaro
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by a73camaro »

I have been running trouble-free for the last 1 1/2 years and 12k miles with my MS. In summer months I have been adding E85 to pump gas in a 3/10 ratio and have been running 20+ psi boost. In winter months I switch to straight pump gas and turn down the boost to 15 psi.
bobob729
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by bobob729 »

i had some questions to your build did you have to add anything to get the vr sensor to read? if you get a chance please give me a call or text i just need some answers mostly