pug 205, 2.1 litre, 16 valves, throttle bodies, cams etc etc

For vehicles not yet running, but in the process of converting to MegaSquirt (ask a moderator to move your thread once you are running).
Richie
MegaSquirt Newbie

pug 205, 2.1 litre, 16 valves, throttle bodies, cams etc etc

Post by Richie »

Thought Id introduce myself with some pics of my project. started life as a 1989 pug 205 gti 1.9 , she then moved on to be a 2litre 8v which was put onto bike carbs for all of a month before I got offered a tastier lump.
Ive just been busy building the new engine and installing it along with a custom dash, bigger brakes and all new hoses and radiator etc. New engine started out as a 2litre 16v engine from a peugeot 406, in standard form its 135bhp however it had a very restrictive plastic inlet manifold, ppoor exhaust manifold, mild inlet cam, cat converter and generally just built for reasonable fuel economy and performance. Essentially though its the same engine as a GTi6 (166bhp) so its a cracking engine to start with. First to go was the crank, I was offered a free crank that would restroke the engine to a 2.1 litre and also give a nice increase in compression ratio, from 10.4:1 to 11.1:1 so in it went with new shells, next up was the mild inlet cam, this was posted to a very reputable cam grinder in australia and given a stage 2 regrind and then tempered etc before being posted back. When buying the engine I was also offered a gti6 exhaust manifold for not many pennies so again this was snapped up, if youve never seen a gti6 manifold I suggest looking at one when you can, they are a work of art....all tuned lengths, stainless steel and twisted up like a bunch of bananas. So this was the engine in a state to produce more than the gti6 lump, bearing in mind I also dont need a cat converter. Next up was how to best put the fuel and air into the engine, obviously the rubbish restrictive plastic inlet was straight on the pile of rubbish and a pair of practically brand new R1 throttle bodies ordered, complete with fuel rail, injectors, TPS etc etc. Manifold was easy to sort, I used an MI16 manifold cut down then respaced the bodies to suit. result is a set of bodies that mount very close to the head at the correct angle to clear the bonnet and also gave me the easy option of using a standard mi16 fuel rail and regulator. So that was basically the air control side sorted, next up was injectors, I set about my research again and eventually come up with the correct size injectors, a set of 249cc injectors from a VAG turbo engine. So all this assembled and put in the car there is only one thing left to make it run, ECU. the reason Im here... Just got hold of an MS1 on PCB3 with extra coil driver. Im going to run a wasted spark system on the engine using the peugeot 60-2 flywheel and VR sensor which I will no doubt require lots of help with. tongue.gif
heres a few pics of the car being built.

The filters are only there temporary until I find the correct ram pipes.
Its now at the stage where it just needs an auxillary drivebelt and the tubing for the map sensor. Im collecting both of these parts tomorrow and then fingers crossed she will fire up. Ive been testing everything today, all sensors are reporting as they should, cant test the VR sensor so just hoping its OK, fuel pump primes with ignition on etc. I'll no doubt report back tomorrow either asking whats wrong and reporting a success.
Richie
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Richie »

OK, halfway to success. The car now starts and idles OK'ish on megasquirt using wasted spark etc. Its stupidly rich at the moment and wont rev at all. It would appear the downpipe isnt sealing against the manifold so lambda readings are all over the place. Fingers crossed I'll get the downpipe reangled to seal and I can start mapping her up.
Richie
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Richie »

95% success, the car now runs and idles properly, bit hesitant to rev but Im guessing its down to the VE tables and req fuel needing a tweak, had to tune using megatunix in alpha n mode which seems to of improved everything no end. So for now I am hailing this mission succesful and will let my local tuning company tweak it on the rollers 8)
P_HYNYNEN
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by P_HYNYNEN »

Is it EW10J4 or J4RS engine? We have modified J4 engine with home made
single plenum racing intake with 240mm/43mm intake pipes 6deg conical entry.
Currently using an 70mm single throttleplate.

Other mods feature fully ported head with standard size re-shaped valves
(33.2/29.5mm) and a welded tubular header. Valvelifters are mechanical
(home made) and we are using dual valve springs.

Cams are re-ground, in 292/12.00mm, ex 304/10.60mm. Compression ratio is a bit low, only 11.6ish.
I have flycut the cyl head as much as possible to gain more compression over the stock. Valve relief pockets
need to be quite deep in our engine and we are currently looking for higher compression pistons and a
H-beam rod kit. Problem is that pistons tend to break
from the bottom of the intake valve relief pocket to upper piston ring groove.

We have made one 6200rpm dyno pull wich resulted 205 bhp from the crank but the engine is still under constant development....