87 toyota 22re with stroker crank and turbo

For vehicles not yet running, but in the process of converting to MegaSquirt (ask a moderator to move your thread once you are running).
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

87 toyota 22re with stroker crank and turbo

Post by shanex-2 »

Hello every one.This is my first post one this site and I am considering which ms-2 and options to run . Up untill two days ago the only system I could afford/condsider was the sds em-4 and to do what I wanted was going to cost around 1500$ just to start so I went on e-bay to see if I could find one used and also saw the mega squirt systems and there cost NEW so I got curious and did a search to find out about this system.WOW is the only words to discribe it . so with that being said I will give a rundown of my specs.
22r block bored 1mm over
j-e forged pistons 8.3to1 93mm
total seal rings
stroker offset ground crank 94mm
eagle esp h-beam rods
lc engineering stage 2 head with stage 3 turbo cam
adjtbl timing sprocket
main and head studs
t3-to4e turbo from e-bay
target boost pressure 15 psi with intercooler
intended hp will be 250 minimum

This truck is my daily driver that sees offroad use. This project has been ongoing for over four years and there have been many modifications to the truck. I hope to have pictures soon to post up. If this works I may also switch my kawasaki x-2 to fuel injection but would have to harden the system against salt intrusion because I like wave jumping. :D
having fun every step of the way
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

update sunday 9/16/07

Post by shanex-2 »

sorry no pictures yet but I am listing an idea for the ms-2.

make a mounting adapter for the three leds on the box and make a wiring harness to put the leds in the gauge cluster for easy viewing.

I will start off with the engine having a distributer and eventualy switch to a coil on plug set up if and when I have my theory/hardware set up.
any time me and my friends go mudding at least one of us starts missing a cyl. from the cap getting wet. It's a common 22r problem to have. Even waste spark would to be an improvment. time will tell and I will basiclly be the guinne pig for my friends who are also looking to change there efi systems some are stock efi others are carb.
there is still so much to cosider and the time my engine build is taking I will start out with the engine thats in the truck to get a baseline tune.
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

update September 17 2007

Post by shanex-2 »

Well I have to start somewhere so today I bought the stim board unassembled and can't wait for that to come in .The engine itself needs the pistons notched for valve clearance and that should be done this week when that is done the whole rotating assy. will be balanced from the front crank bolt to the clutch pressure plate obsesive I know but I want this engine to run for a very long time and run smooth . I am also looking to install oil squirters from the mains pointing up at the pistons to help keep things cool in the motor. I have also stumbled onto a neat junkyard trick I am modifing an liquid to oil cooler that mounts in between the block and the oil filter which is standard issue for the 22rte but not the 22re . The oil cooler off of a mid 90s toyota cammry with the 2200 motor is as close as they come but it needs some modifications namely the center bolt thred and the o-ring . I will have pictures soon. I need to figure out how to move them from my dig. camra to these posts ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE GREATLY APRECEATED!!!!
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

well unfoutunetly my camera is giving me trouble and will probably have to get another one .I got the stim a little bit back and is 90% compleat. I have been buying parts for the turbo like blow-off valve and external waste gate. The engine itself has had the pistons noched to clear the valves and will be using the engine thats in the truck to help set up the running paramaters for the ms-2 and to break in the new cam that I have selected. I will be getting the ms-2 kit soon so I can get started on assembly. I hope to have pictures soon.
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

well I have just about given up on posting pictures so I will a least fill every body in on the project . I have compleated the stim and as of last weekend had purchesed the ms2 v3.0 and started assembly but had to stop to order a usb to db9 cable adapter ,it should be here wednesday. Don't worry I am still trying to get the pictures up on the site I think my problem is that my pictuers are all above 1.10mb and don't know how to shrink them yet I will probably have to take them to a friend of mine who knows more about computers to help me out. So untill nextime.
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

well after some communication problems between the ms proseesor and megatune I couldn't find a v2.881 ini.file in the megatune selection and went to an older version for now. I am ready to install the outputs .After fixing my comm problem I could test my input assy and they passed . :D Well thats all for now LATER
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

well I just finished my MSII a few minuets ago and almost every thing is working fine .my only problem is that the IDL led will not light . I am wondering if it is because I am running the iac set up . I should have the problem resolved soon . I will be installing the system soon.
UNTIL NEXT TIME
LATER
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

well it has been a while since I posted and updated. I have been purchasing parts for the install such as wide band o2 sensor wireing harnes and air temp and coolant temp sensor I also got the iac motor adapter from diy autotune the only other major part I need is the fuel injectors I have also been doing other work to the truck to make it more durable offroading well thats all for now I will try to update more to show the progress of the truck
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Re: 87 toyota 22re with stroker crank and turbo

Post by shanex-2 »

I think I can finnaly get some pictures up loaded and here are some of them .
Shane's project pictures 001.jpg
Shane's project pictures 002.jpg
Shane's project pictures 004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Re: 87 toyota 22re with stroker crank and turbo

Post by shanex-2 »

here are some more pic's testing out the system I will soon have more pictures up now that I know how to
Shane's project pictures 011.jpg
Shane's project pictures 013.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.