87 toyota 22re with stroker crank and turbo

For vehicles not yet running, but in the process of converting to MegaSquirt (ask a moderator to move your thread once you are running).
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Re: 87 toyota 22re with stroker crank and turbo

Post by shanex-2 »

The other part of this install was putting in the pipe for the air intake . The stock one was restrictive especialy with the air flow meter in the mix . these next pics are of the fabrication of the intake pipe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
having fun every step of the way
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

And the rest of them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

well I have been having some problems with the truck being hard to start even after some more tuning . I decided to check spark output and cranking timing. When I did I found that my vr set up was still having trouble picking up a signal when cranking . After some adjustments the problem did not get any better so I did a side by side test of how sensitive my old ign.(V.A.S.T.) system was at cranking speed. To my surprise the old system was really sensitive when you would just bearly bump the starter the coil would fire. If I used the VR cuircut and triggered the coil directly the engine would have to crank a revolution or two befor the coil would fire. So I will be modifying my Megasquirt to interface with my V.A.S.T. ign . system. Hopefuly this will solve some of my starting issues.
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

Ok after some problems getting my system up and running with VAST I have finaly got it working :yeah!: some of my problems included my stim not liking the 12volt pullup resistor on the hall input. The stim would turn on the fuel pump light for 3 seconds and turn off. I wouldn't get a RPM signal no matter where the trim pot was turned. For those of you interested the stim I was using was the megastim v2.2 . I have ordered the jimstim from diyautotune this should work with my setup.
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

well a celebration was a little premature when I hooked up wire 36 to the igt wire going to the igniter the tach would jump around and the timing was all over the place .I found a section on the vast page that said I should run an inline resistor . I decided to disconnect wire 36 and do a datalog. At idle the rpm was very jumpy between 900 and 1000 rpm (yes I know it's a little high). So I'm wondering if I have noise in the tach signal. If I do then it would be hard for the wire36 to send an accurate trigger signal. Hopefully I can figure this out if not I will have to use a mechanical / vacume advance distibutor.
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

well it looks like I'm taking a few steps backwards. After fighting with tring to intergrate with the vast ign system I decided to just run fuel only and put in a carb style distributor and igniter and will get my fuel map dialed in . After getting my fuel taken care of I will try solving the spark control issue again and get back onto finnishing the turbo engine. On the brite side though this is practice for when I put in a MSII on my dads Dodge Ramcharger.
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

well I had some issues with the carb style igniter and the msII tach signal. After runing great for a week it would shut off soon after starting and seemed to get worse as time went on shutting down 3-5 times soon after start up . After running a datalog to see what was going on I found that the engine would suddenly spike a few thousand rpm and the pulse width would increase to keep up which would stall the engine. So I decided to try using my efi igniter for getting my tach signal but still use the carb style distributor to handle the timing advance duties. After switching that all over the truck works great.

If anyone is going to run there 22re engine in fuel only mode I would suggest retaining the efi igniter and use the carb style distributor, it really simplifies things since the efi igniter has a nice clean square wave tach signal coming out of it.
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

An interesting side note I pulled a GM HEI 8 ignition system the other day just to experiment with . I conected my EFI distributor's vr sensor wires to it, to see how well it would trigger the coil. To my surprise it works very well at least on the bench . I think I may try it out on the truck just to see how well it would work at fuel only and ignition control for my 22re. At the very least it might be a good alternitive if the VAST igniter fails and you don't need the pull up resistors that the VAST system does .
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

well it has been a while since I first started using the hei8 ign system on the truck and so far it is working really well at first it was operating as fuel only mode but now it is operating in fuel and spark control. :yeah!: I have some pics of the cover's constuction and as you can see it is ruffly the same dimentions as the factory VAST system was. I still don't know why I couldn't get the VAST system to integrate with the msII spark control. But since I have the HEI8 installed and working it doesn't really matter.
shanex-2
Helpful Squirter

Post by shanex-2 »

and some more