1989 BMW E34 535i MS1 first, supercharger later...

For vehicles not yet running, but in the process of converting to MegaSquirt (ask a moderator to move your thread once you are running).
stu535i
MegaSquirt Newbie

1989 BMW E34 535i MS1 first, supercharger later...

Post by stu535i »

I'm working on a MS1 install upon my BMW E34 535i 5speed, with a view to having a readily removable system when/if time comes to replace the car. I've built up MS into a spare Motronic enclosure and will be using the cars existing ECU location and wiring loom for the vast majority of work.

Baseline dyno run completed about 2 months ago prior to commencing this work, currently 224.5 BHP (189.9 @ Wheels), 217.9 lb/ft. Only very minor modifications in place prior to commencing with MS; these are Alpina B10 ECU, Port-matched intake manifold and a stainless steel rear exhaust section.

Phase 1 is now complete, and consisted of the following:
  • Change out stock manual TPS for E34 Automatic TPS (with pot installed)
    IAT sensor from E36 installed on stock airbox
    Bosch 2-wire ICV from BMW M50 engine
    Remove AFM, replace with straight 68mm pipe
    Prepare mounting/wiring for GM DIS ignition.
    Piggybacking all connectors for the above to suit MS1 or Stock sensors
    Install Innovate LC-1 WB o2 sensor.
    Fitting MS1 into Motronic enclosure, using spare/unused pins for enhancements
Phase 2 is being worked on at present, this is getting the engine running with all the above. MS has been plugged into the wiring loom, sensors all tested out fine. My intention is to get the car idling, build up a map over the next week for practice and I have a 2 hour dyno session booked for a week from now to set up the fueling/spark timing properly.

Phase 3 is the prep work and installation of the supercharger related goodies, currently this is going to be a rotrex supercharger, the biggest custom intercooler I can squeeze in front/below the rad and associated pipework, electric fans (2 x 11"), water spray injection is likely, exhaust manifold work. MS will be reconfigured when the time comes for switching from NA to FI with another dyno session.

I started a video log of the installation process for megasquirt, I'll try to get it up online soon.

If anyone has a BMW M30 engine map to get me started I'd be very grateful for the headstart on tuning!
stu535i
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1989 BMW E34 535i MS1 first, supercharger later...

Post by stu535i »

Quick update:

MS1is running nicely in the car now, however due to a coilpack problem I'm running the OEM coil and distributor with MS controlling the sparking. 3+ hours on the dyno setting up fuelling and then I had an indicated 235.7bhp at flywheel (200.7 rwhp) and 227.4 lbft, basically +11.2bhp and +9.5lbft after switching to MS - and there is more to come!

I believe another 5-10bhp can be squeezed out of the car as it is currently with some very careful tweaking of the spark maps and a ducted K&N filter and a little further VE tuning once the GM DIS is up and running correctly...

And then I've got headers and new larger bore exhaust system arriving in 1 week... :)

I'll get another couple of dyno runs conducted soon with/without wasted spark and the new headers on the car to see how far I can go on stock internals and NA before stuffing air down it's throat with the Rotrex charger :) Happy times!