1999 Tercel Megasquirt project

For vehicles not yet running, but in the process of converting to MegaSquirt (ask a moderator to move your thread once you are running).
Jo_Tercel99
MegaSquirt Newbie

1999 Tercel Megasquirt project

Post by Jo_Tercel99 »

Hi everyone,

My Name is Jonathan and I come from Quebec (so excuse my english I'am a french canadian). I'am planning to put a Megasquirt in my 1999 tercel. This is my only car so I need to be able to use the stock ECU while tunnig the megasquirt. I already have my Megasquirt, I bought it from DIYautotune a mouth ago. It's a V3 board with the Megasquirt II processor and I use the MS extra code. I'am not sure of some things. Maybe you guys can answer my questions.
Pictures of the car

Here the megasquirt assembled and working

My tercel already use wasted spark for stock ignition and have a 36-2 wheel to trigger it. I'am not sure yet that I can use the stock sensor and trigger wheel. The sensor is a VR sensor. Here a picture of what the trigger look like. The problem is that my trigger wheel don't realy have missing tooth but adding tooth (don't realy know how to explain that so here a picture)
I searched to find someone who did this but never find anything. I also searched for other toyota engine using the same type on trigger and I don't find anything to. Does this Trigger will work with Megasquirt without any modification ???

I am now planing how to connect it with the stock ECU. My firt plan is to share sensors between the two ECU. I'am not 100% sure I can do this. I don't think i will have problems with the IAT and CLT but for the Crank position sensor I'am realy not sure I can share it. I just want to control the injection and ignition for the begining and let's the stock ECU control the IAC and the EVAP valve.

Here a drawing of the connection I will do at first. I want to begin with the stock ECU controling the injection and ignition but have my input to the Megasquirt to see how thw stock ECU control the engine. Sorry I know it's a bit small.

If I forgot informations just tell me I will give you more informations.
Jo_Tercel99
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1999 Tercel Megasquirt project

Post by Jo_Tercel99 »

Finaly, I wired all sensors on my Megasquirt last weekend. I get all my sensor values and everythings seems working well.

For now the stock ECU is running the engine, (need a wideband before starting the tuning).

So it's really easy to use all the stock sensors from the Tercel and share it with the stock ECU. even the weird trigger wheel work really fines without any modification.

Hope this will help others Tercel owners, because I never saw a megasquirted DIS Tercel using the stock trigger wheel. So everybody could know it's work now

:yeah!:
qadir03
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by qadir03 »

Jo_Tercel99,

What a great project!

What you could do to control your ignition is to use an EDIS modules, and machine your trigger wheel to actually be a 36-1, this will be the easy way.

Here are some images of my Tercel:
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff4/ ... 20Install/

Good Luck!
Jo_Tercel99
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Jo_Tercel99 »

Thank you for your suggestion, but like I said I use the stock trigger wheel (without any modification). I plug it and every thing goes well. Here some picture to show that I get RPM signal from the stock trigger and sensor.

here were I put the megasquirt just under the glove box with a ondulator for my laptop

So it's realy easy to use the stock trigger wheel of the 5E-FE second gen DIS engine.

For now the stock ECU control the engine and I have all my signal on the Megasquirt at the same time. I did'nt begin the tuning because I didn't reseve my LC-1 wideband yet. I am supposed to get it on January 5th.

P.S. It seem you did a realy nice job on your tercel and it is very clean. Does the 3EE have problème to support boost. (How many PSI ?? and what is the turbo ??)

If you want to see more of mine you can go on this web site http://jotercel99.monchar.com/
qadir03
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by qadir03 »

Very nice!

You can check more detail about my setup here: viewtopic.php?f=89&t=6276&p=142222#p142222
Jo_Tercel99
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Jo_Tercel99 »

Here a little update to my project. I finilysed the board where is mount the megasquirt. I put some terminal blocks to put the "not used" wires from the megasquirt and the injectors and coils signal to be able to switch from the stock ECU to the Megasquirt easyly. For now, I don't start the tuning with the Megasquirt yet, because it's a bit cold here in Quebec and I don't have a garage. I also finaly received my LC-1 wideband after almost 1 1/2 mouths. It's also plugged and ready to help my to tune.

So here the interesting part, the pictures.

This is the top side of the board

And here the bottom

And here instaled open

And instaled close

Everything is ready to start the tuning. I just have a Idle problem with the stock ECU, when I plug the Megasquirt. So, I'am gonna resolve that before continue.

Here the complet shéma of the engine cleaned and with the Megasquirt and the wideband. The oder one is a zoom of the Megasquirt connections. It was to small in the message.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo_Tercel99
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Jo_Tercel99 »

It is now working. At the first try the car started :yeah!: . So It was realy easy to plug it on the 5E-FE DIS engine and makes it work. I began to tune it up but need to put more time on it, When everything will be perfect I'll post my files.

So, you can move my project in the Toyota section