1985 Camaro Berlinetta, TPI 305

Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Saturn, Geo, Holden, Vauxhall, etc.
Toehead
MegaSquirt Newbie

1985 Camaro Berlinetta, TPI 305

Post by Toehead »

This weekend I had my first successful megasquirt run. Started up right away, after I fixed a crimped return line, and idled fine after I changed the warmup enrichment for a minute or so. The megasquirt is controlling spark and fuel using the GM 8-pin HEI and stock injectors.

I have not driven it yet, but so far the default tune seems very serviceable for my engine. Seeing how the tune is for a 350 TPI, that makes sense :)

I welcome any advice and comments!
-Brendan
Telco
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Telco »

Hi there, I'm considering this software for a TPI 302 for my S10 truck. Now that you've had this on, how well is it running on your 305 and what kind of fuel economy are you getting? Thanks.
mthrall
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by mthrall »

Toehead can you share with me what setup your using for your ignition for instance how it's wired?, what you have your ignition and dwell settings at and also what Version of MS and board are you running.
Toehead
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Toehead »

Wow, didn't realize I had gotten any responses. I will post back with the settings.... My car is at home and I have a few weeks of school left.
It is the regular 8 pin HEI with the external coil.

It is running great, drivable as stock.
Not sure on the fuel mileage... I didnt get a chance to calculate it.
Toehead
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Toehead »

Guys:

all my ignition settings were taken directl from this page. This also describes the wiring.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm

It is a MS-II version 3.0.

I would estimate gas mileage at about 18-19 city. Havn't taken it on the highway yet, but it runs better then it ever has before.
Toehead
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Toehead »

So, with the coming of summer, I get a fresh crop of problems...

For one, I keep burning up ignition modules, or so I thought. After going through about 3 (free lifetime replacement), I came to the conclusion that it must be somehting else. Turns out that when my car got into the hot summer sun, the module signal dropped below the voltage required to cleanly trigger the hall effect circuit in the megasquirt, resulting in a loss of tach signal and all the symptoms of a dead module.

After I did the HEI input modification (ms extra), the problem went away.... although one of the modules actually WAS bad.

A word to the wise... Don't buy the GP sorenson, Standard, or any other china-made modules. They just don't work correctly and put out a signal that is MUCH weaker then the GM ones. They may come with a lifetime replacement warantee, but after you need to use it a few times it isn't worth it.