Success 1979 Cadillac Eldorado MS V3 (fuel only)

Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Saturn, Geo, Holden, Vauxhall, etc.
AndyThrsh
MegaSquirt Newbie

Success 1979 Cadillac Eldorado MS V3 (fuel only)

Post by AndyThrsh »

I've successfully megasquirted my '79 Eldo, which has the 350 Olds Port Fuel Injected engine from the factory.

The original ECU was an analog Bendix unit , which was an open loop control unit. It wasn't the most efficient way of electronically fuel injecting this car - the car was prone to running rich cold. When warmed up car would have varying cycles of running great and then just fair , with part throttle response stumbling, occasional rough running, varying idle qualities and so forth. Despite me having hand picked coolant and mat sensors, and TPS adjusted correctly, and all proper avenues taken (even replacing the original ECU unit).. I just came to conclude the old Analog computer was not able to cope with all the various running conditions a car will encounter. Just the nature of the beast.

I hand assembled the V3 kit & board with MS-1 CPU , simply retaining the Caddies original stock fuel pumps, injectors, throttle body - only replacing coolant, MAT and TPS with the GM sensors megasquirt specified . I did have to experiment with different TPS sensors but settled on a 1985 Caddy HT 4100 TPS for my setup, which permits a good throttle angle and sweep throughout the range of the TPS.

Took me awhile to get the fuel injector PWM current and settings optimized for the original Bendix injectors, but once I got it all sorted out the car has began to respond very well. VE table tuning has been a snap, and now the car is running stronger than ever before! Throttle response is fantastic, never imagined one of these old Caddies could this smooth and be fuel injected. There just simply are no more misses, no more stumbles, and cold starts are a snap.

The car also has picked up a few MPG's to boot. I'm hoping as I get the VE tables further optimized to tune it for leaner running during cruise.

I'm very happy and pleased with the setup so far, I'm a newbie on DIY fuel injection tuning, here but it's been a great learning experience. Later plans are to get the V3 CPU and control ignition (learn one thing at a time).