Jeep, 350 (700-10 block) TPI, Relay Board, 8 Pin HEI,

Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Saturn, Geo, Holden, Vauxhall, etc.
jimchristiansen
MegaSquirt Newbie

Jeep, 350 (700-10 block) TPI, Relay Board, 8 Pin HEI,

Post by jimchristiansen »

First off- Thank you to everyone who has helped me out with this project. I started shopping for an injection system in December of 2007. I decided to build my own and bought a ton of stuff (well a ton to me because I'm not a millionaire!) from DIYautotune in early January 2008. Most of the soldering was finished after a couple weeks of evening soldering... I could have gone faster but I stretched the process out because I didn't have the TPI cleaned up yet and it was too hard to work outside in the cold. I traded many emails with Matt Cramer. Matt has been very generous with his knowledge and patient teaching/helping me. I asked many questions, some of which I re-read now and wonder if I was really so dense a few months ago!!!

I drilled two holes into the base extrusion of the relay box for drainage, mounted it on the driver's fender well and covered it with a tupperware box. It is pretty good if you ask me! You can see it in the pic.
engine-done.jpg
I built my own wiring harness (easy, really) and spent a little time finding where to mount my external fuel pump. The Jeep originally had a 6 cyl AMC engine in it.

The TPI was glass bead blasted and chrome powder coated. Other junk yard components purchased, cleaned up and readied to go on. I did the conversion during the month of March and had the engine driving to and from work in just a few days. It took 3 months of fiddling/tuning/modding to get the engine where I wanted it.

This is a 1970 3/4 ton Chevy 350 that has undergone a wee bit of re-hab!

You can find a series of posts that I have made to the Tuning Forum dealt with general tuning, diagnosing tach spikes, iac movement, accel and warm-up enrichment and leaning for highway cruise.

With advice from Matt Cramer I did the number 2 mod for the hei control and left the R12 resistor as is. So far everything is great. With the tach spikes remedied the IAC no longer moves.

With the IAC staying put and the huge hesitating fixed I quickly began tuning for economy. I have a NB O2 sensor so I had to go slowly and carefully. I did some 25 minute data logging and used MegaLogViewer to parse the data AFTER altering the default AFR table (in MegaLogViewer). I changed only the light cruise bins to 16.7 (surrounded the few 16.7s with 16.5s) then let the analyzer rip. I did a little smoothing in the VE table by hand and burned it to the MS2. Then I put the engine on the road and slowly put it through the entire load/rpm possibilities- no ping- never. Then I ran it for two 100 mile trips and drove it like a grandpa at 55 mph and achieved 21 miles per US gallon. :D

About the engine: virgin 1970 350 4 bolt (700-10 series), rv cam, original 3/4 ton 1970 truck heads, 91 350 Z28 TPI, rams horns manifolds, 8 pin hei, 255 gal/hr walboro fp, stock 350 injectors. HD 454 conversion rad, high vol v-belt fan (with shroud), extra 16 inch 2500 cfm pusher fan, 180 degree tstat, runs at 190-195 on 75 degree day.
About the drivetrain: TH350 I rebuilt myself, 3.07 rear ends, 33 inch tires @ 18 psi.--- cruise at 55 mph == about 1850 rpm

Would you ever know what was under this vehicle's hood? :yeah!:
jeep.jpg
What I've noticed about my engine. It wants more enrichment during warmup than the default tables- by far. Also it still wants enrichment up to 165 degrees (or higher). It wants to idle at 850 rpm (or a wee bit more). I still need to spend a little time at idle and just off idle settings.

The engine starts and runs on the first try. It doesn't stall going into reverse or drive. It gives great economy for the power output- near wheelies and tires breaking free at 30 mph if the go pedal drops too fast... AND 21 mpg highway- yeah! :yeah!:

Here is the msq:
megasquirt200806211024.msq
Dec 12/08
Update-- I'm getting CLT drops to zero, sporadically- every 10 minutes or so... Not any problem when the engine is hot and running under load. But- if the engine is half warmed up and the CLT reading hits zero, the warmup enrichment kicks in momentarily big-time and then if the pedal is moving down- like climbing a hill- the engine gets too much fuel and stumbles. The remedy has been to slide the Accel Enrich down to the far left- zero. Problem solved until I figure out what is wrong with the coolant temp sender...

This msq works for me, but it is still experimental. It may melt your engine... be careful!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jimchristiansen on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdkoontz
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Jeep, 350 (700-10 block) TPI, Relay Board, 8 Pin HEI,

Post by jdkoontz »

Great job Jim!
I really like that 21mpg! Wow!

Jerry
drholl
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by drholl »

Thank you, it is really nice to see a 350 v-8 that gets decent fuel mileage. And thanks for the MSQ File, it gives us newbies a good starting point. I do appreciate it. Holl ( 327 V-8 in a 60 chevy with the MS II built but awaiting other parts)
Holl

MS-II, V 3, 2.886, LC-1. 1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 350, 270 HP. 1959 German Corvette, bought in Berlin. With a 160 "KPH" speedo. KPH??? - What were they thinking? 160 KPH is only 100 MPH. We can peg that in third gear!!! 1959 Cadillac, 502, huge Chrome Bumpers and really BIG FINS!!!
jimchristiansen
MegaSquirt Newbie

drholl wrote:Thank you, it is really nice to see a 350 v-8 that gets decent fuel mileage. And thanks for the MSQ File, it gives us newbies a good starting point. I do appreciate it. Holl ( 327 V-8 in a 60 chevy with the MS II built but awaiting other parts)
Thanks. Just so you know- I've installed 4.10/11's into the Jeep diffs and my highway econonmy is now 13 mpg at 50-55 mph. A HUGE change!! I've purchased a Turbo 700R4 to slide in behind my favorite shiney engine that should actually bring the cruising rpm even lower than with the Turbo350 running with 3.07's. My highway cruise will drop to 1600-1650 rpms (now with the 4.10/11's it is 2300 or so)... That .7 overdrive will be nice!!! OMG- the 1st gear will even be lower, too... Nice!

How is your setup going?
jimchristiansen
MegaSquirt Newbie

Well it is finally cold enough again to work on my warm-up enrichment. Here is my latest msq. I thought I had the hesitating cured but a heavy foot while climbing a hill and accelerating still can produce a hesitation. The engine is way more civilized now though.
megasquirt200911120800-warmup-richer.msq
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.