Dual TBI on 402 chevy

Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Saturn, Geo, Holden, Vauxhall, etc.
Ikeman
MegaSquirt Newbie

Dual TBI on 402 chevy

Post by Ikeman »

I have been reading about megasquirt for the past year and i'm looking to use it on a street driven 402 big block chevy that is in a 66 impala that has about 450 h.p a 5 sp tremac and 308 gears. i want to use dual gm TBI on a tunnel ram type intake, I'm looking for some input on this idea. i'm new to fuel injection but have the skills to pull it off i think. any info would be appreciated. right know the engine has .030 overbore 113cc oval port heads mild cam (14 in. vaccume at idle) about 10.1 compression. after reading the megasquirt info i think it can be done. thanks Ikeman
long283
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Dual TBI on 402 chevy

Post by long283 »

Hi Ikeman. First of all good luck with the project and don't be afraid to give it a go, the forums have lots of useful info and lots of people who are willing to help.

I am not sure about the GM TBI injectors but I found the Holley TBI injectors didn't atomise the fuel enough. This led to fouled plugs, difficult starting and a very thirsty engine. If you want good economy, idle and starting the multipoint injection ( or modify the tunnel ram for multipoint injection) would be better but if you don't care about economy the TBI will still make plenty of power. Mind you this is from my experience with the Holley TBI.

If you do use the GM TBI with low-impedance injectors try using ballast resistors or peak & hold injector drivers to run them. I tried PWM but this produced a lot of noise in the ground of the MegaSquirt and the engine would cut-out for no reason.
There are a few guys in the "MegaSquirt Sucess Stories" who have tunnel ram induction have a look through and get a few ideas.

Hope this is of some help.
Ikeman
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Ikeman »

thanks for the input. i have just statred the project . i'll keep the forum updated as i go along. thanks again
ol boy
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by ol boy »

Any updates on this...? I'm wanting to also do a dual TBI set up on a SBFord using an old style F-28 intake.

later ryan.
ricardobready
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by ricardobready »

A company called Howell EFI now makes a kit with dual gm TBI injectors with intake manifold for the SBC. As far as I can see, it's a Edelbrock performer rpm air gap manifold. Don't know about the BBC. Here's one of the websites http://www.martincoadvertising.com/pr/2 ... ction-kit/ or you can try howell-efi.com.

Richard