1990f2504x4
MegaSquirt Newbie

1990 f250 4x4 TURBOCHARGED 351w

Post by 1990f2504x4 »

Truck
1990 FORD F250 4x4
351w with megasquirt and spark TFI
GT-42 BALLBEARING TURBOCHARGER
Aiming for 9 psi right now I have the wastegate set at 7 psi and tuning it.

I got the megasquirt wired up and going pretty quickly, attemped to use EDIS at first but had some difficulty with the modules not wanting to respond well so gave up on that for a bit and now I am just running TFI though the megasuirt with the add on circuit.
For now I am just using a narrow band O2 and it is making tunning with the turbo a little difficult so I may have to aim for a wide-band soon in the future. I have a good base tune that runs really well, other than a little rich, it has plenty of power just not very efficent right now. Having a slight bit of trouble keeping the battery charged on the truck, for some darn reason it has a voltage leak of 5v somewhere after you turn the key off the battery light on the dash stay partially lit and megasuirt shows 5 volt. I replaced the ignition switch along with the main relay but hasn't fixed it so far. I guess I will just have to keep looking but if anyone has any ideas just let me know.
The turbo manifolds are homemade and custom made by myself and a friend. The intake and injectors are the stock ford supplied ones for now but I have an aeromotive pumps and 660cc injectors that are going in as soon as I get time to get it back in the shop.
The truck itself has a 6 inch lift and a set of 36 12.50x16.5 goodyear wranglers. It has a 5 speed transmission. The factory computer along with all the factory underhood wiring has been completely removed and new wiring relocated on the passenger to avoid the heat generated by the turbocharger. I will post more details as the tuning progresses, but for now I will just post some pics of the engine and turbo installation into the ford.
1990 F250 351w 9 psi boost running Msns-TFI, tuning as we speak and trying lots of the extra outputs
2000 Mustang GT 305hp few mods 12.9 1/4
1990f2504x4
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 1990f2504x4 »

I forgot to add that I changed the sensors to GM type.
Also I am using the Factory ford IAC valve for warmup fast idle only right now using the PWM idle. I changed the transistor over to the TIP 120 Darlington mounted off the board on the same piece of extra piece of circuit board that I mounted the TFI circuit on.

I changed over to the GM sensors after having trouble getting the ford ones to work even after changing bias resistors to 23k. Everything else has been pretty easy to just wire up and make work. I am still dealing with that stinking voltage leak problem, I guess there is another relay somewhere messing up and bleeding through.

Also I am seeing intake temps of 160 degrees F once the engine is warm. Doesn't seem normal to me, but I think this is mostly due to heat soak from the engine into the sensor, being that the IAT sensor is mounted back in the stock location in the intake manifold.
1990 F250 351w 9 psi boost running Msns-TFI, tuning as we speak and trying lots of the extra outputs
1990f2504x4
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 1990f2504x4 »

Here is a pic of the truck with 33x 12.50's on it. It's still pretty dirty but this is before any paint prep work or any exterior work that is taking place now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990f2504x4
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 1990f2504x4 »

Just got everything working On MSII. It was actually easier to tune once I got everything going. Had some small ignition issues at first but got all of that cleared up and now I am just fine tuning. It runs really good and should run even better once I get a pretty good ignition table. I was running one from a generator someone creating using excel but I was getting some detonation as soon as it hit boost, so I had to alter the table and I may have taken it down a bit too much because now I have some weird behavior at times. All in all it was a pretty simple transition. I haven't gotten my ford PWM idle valve to work properly yet but it was 34 degrees F this morning and it started and warmed up just fine after some tweaking of the Warmup bins. I should have some pics soon of the truck with the new 36x12.50s on it. I think it looks pretty good. Should be getting a new paint job soon as well.
UNTAMND
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by UNTAMND »

Do you still have the truck, how is it running. Have you upgraded the engine internals yet, or built a new engine. Just curious about an update becasue its been a while. Thanks
94 GT 5spd Custom Built TWIN Turbo System and MS
67 Mustang Fastback 390 c6 dual quad
You know the "RED" area of the tach???....Thats called..."The FUN ZONE"