351W 1969 Mustang

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Merkur, etc.
goodyearsmokesignals
MegaSquirt Newbie

351W 1969 Mustang

Post by goodyearsmokesignals »

Stock bottom end 85 Windsor block with J302 Ford Motorsport Aluminum Heads on top.

I used a 5.8L truck lower and enlisted a buddy with a milling machine who hogged out the oval ports at the top of the lower to be rectangle and as big as there was material for. Then he tig welded the corners of the outside ports with the bends in them and i went to work with the die grinder. Ported and polished every port the whole length of it to a nice finish with a bigger to smaller shape. It should flow quite nicely.

The upper i fabricated out of 1/8th aluminum sheetmetal and we squared that off in the mill as well. On top sits two 65mm throttle bodies from 4.6L crown vics and the like. Above that i fabricated a sheetmetal base with a couple small velocity rings for the 14" K&N to sit on. This base will also get sides on it which will seal on the hood so the intake will suck cold air directly from the hood scoop.

Injectors i robbed from a couple old turbo daytonas at the wrecker. They are 28lb/hr so should be adequate for now. Fuel Pump is an inline Walbro 255 lph, and the fuel tank i modified with a lowered sump with rear outlets to keep everything flowing.

MS is a V3.0 board running MSnSe Code mounted in the dash and is wired to a relay box above the glove box. Also above the MS is a DIY-WB controller. Ive also had the car running with MSII but am curently running extra for the launch conrol and rev limiting features.

This is my second MS install and has not been without problems but its running good now. Just waiting for the snow to melt so i can get out and tune. Already it idles better than it did with the carb and i couple trips up and down the driveway and some donuts in the yard prove that it runs alot better than i could have expected on basicly default fuel maps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UNTAMND
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by UNTAMND »

I have a 67 Mustang with a 390, 428cj heads and lowriser dual quad intake, and have been wanting to get it to run better then with the crappy old carbs i have for it. I have thought about using the holley 4barrel tb injection so i didnt have to ruin an original 63 dual quad intake. How has your car been running, do you have a website with pics or some other online picture site.

You said you are using the extra version for launch control, what times has this car ran. My 67 i have had to the track before it was tuned with the dual carbs and i ran a 12.2 in the 1/4 but with a terrable 1/8th time. My normal 1/8th time at my local track is a 7.8
94 GT 5spd Custom Built TWIN Turbo System and MS
67 Mustang Fastback 390 c6 dual quad
You know the "RED" area of the tach???....Thats called..."The FUN ZONE"
goodyearsmokesignals
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by goodyearsmokesignals »

Hi there, unfortunately i havent had the opportunity to run the car over the past year. It is in storage. But last i was using it the MS fuel injection was working very good. I am by no means proficient at tuning and already it started and ran much better than with the edelbrock 750 i was using before. When i switched to efi i used two 65mm t bodies which flow aprox 1100 to 1200 cfm and a much more free flowing intake than the wieand stealth i used beneath the carb. Being as i have a mostly stock 351w with just a warmer cam i think i actually lost some torq with the fuel injection mostly because of the airflow. The car slowed down a couple of tenths in the 8th. However this intake system is built for much more motor than i currently have and should get at some point.

http://www3.telus.net/~camcar/ has a bunch of pics of the car. and i Love the launch control of MS. for a while i had a hydralic loc inline with my hydraulic clutch system and had that on a button with the rev control and my line loc. That was the easiest launch ive ever had in a stick car. But the rev control of MS works great. The car has run low 13's with a 8.2ish 1/8th mile and a 1.8x kinda of short time. The motor is really not all that hot making just around 315hp.