George Robitaille 4.6L DOHC w/ blower, MS-II fuel and spark

Post by Arrowhead »

Name: George Robitaille
Vehicle: 1923 Ford Model T (T Bucket) Hot rod
Engine: Ford 4.6L DOHC V-8
Injection: Multi Port EFI
Description: GMC 6-71 roots type blower
Online Build Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal ... ction=view

I had built my T bucket over a year ago and it was running great. It had a Ford 302 in it with a patched up stock computer running multiport EFI. Buut, I came across a 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII basically for free. It had been hit in the right front, but it was fairly complete. I wasn’t familiar with the dual cam motors, but after doing a little digging, found that it was an all aluminum motor and they were pretty stout. I thought it might be cool in the T bucket. So I did the transplant, built a Megasquirt to run the fuel and spark. I also came across an old style 6-71 GMC blower. After some mocking up and parts gathering, I was able to mount it to the 4.6 using a 96-98 Cobra lower intake manifold. This allowed me to use the stock injector locations and have the blower running "dry" The bugcatcher is the actual throttle blade (the two outer butterflies are closed off on the inside)

The MS build went great. I had never done anything like it, but did a lot of reading of the megamanual and asked some questions on the forums.

Running the EDIS-8 system off the MS was suoer slick, especially since the motor was already setup for it.

Heres a video of the start up. This was the second try. The first try, the throttle blades were set too far open and it revved pretty high, so I shut it down.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8106225418
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arrowhead
MegaSquirt Newbie

4,000 mile MS Update

Post by Arrowhead »

Put over 4,000 miles on the setup since I got it on the road in June. I'm gettng about 17 MPG which I can live with, but I think it could do better. MS has had no issues to date. Took it on some fairly long trips too (800 miles one way in a day) and even in the rain, no problem ( at least MS related). I did have an injector fail which took me a bit to diagnose as it was an intermittent problem. There are a couple of tweeks that could be done like acceleration during warm up is a little lean still, stuff like that. EDIS is super slick and will never go back to a distributer. I'm sure this motor combination could be setup to breakstuff, but I'm perfectly happy just tooling around. Hope to do another one someday.
MegaScott
MegaSquirt Guru

Post by MegaScott »

I just picked up on your 4.6 install. Totally cool!!! 8) 8) 8)

Very unique and a very neat idea to put a roots blower on the 4.6.

Any problems running the blower dry? How much boost are you getting?
Arrowhead
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Arrowhead »

Thanks, it's a pretty good setup. It will pump up to 12-15#'s boost if I abuse it. I try not to, the bottom won't take it. Besides, I'm usually past the legal speed limt when it hit's 15#'s so I'm letting off anyway.

The dry blower has been fine. I do see some high discharge air temps at high boost and it maxes out the MS sensor range. That is one of the bugs I'd like to address. I back off timing at higher boost though just to be safe.
Colin Doyle
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Colin Doyle »

Nice setup, man! I love seeing the old-school cars with newer technology. :)
Colin Doyle
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
V3.0/MSnS-E/EDIS
SierraV8
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: George Robitaille 4.6L DOHC w/ blower, MS-II fuel and sp

Post by SierraV8 »

Arrowhead wrote:Name: George Robitaille
Vehicle: 1923 Ford Model T (T Bucket) Hot rod
Engine: Ford 4.6L DOHC V-8
Injection: Multi Port EFI
Description: GMC 6-71 roots type blower
Online Build Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal ... ction=view

I had built my T bucket over a year ago and it was running great. It had a Ford 302 in it with a patched up stock computer running multiport EFI. Buut, I came across a 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII basically for free. It had been hit in the right front, but it was fairly complete. I wasn’t familiar with the dual cam motors, but after doing a little digging, found that it was an all aluminum motor and they were pretty stout. I thought it might be cool in the T bucket. So I did the transplant, built a Megasquirt to run the fuel and spark. I also came across an old style 6-71 GMC blower. After some mocking up and parts gathering, I was able to mount it to the 4.6 using a 96-98 Cobra lower intake manifold. This allowed me to use the stock injector locations and have the blower running "dry" The bugcatcher is the actual throttle blade (the two outer butterflies are closed off on the inside)

The MS build went great. I had never done anything like it, but did a lot of reading of the megamanual and asked some questions on the forums.

Running the EDIS-8 system off the MS was suoer slick, especially since the motor was already setup for it.

Heres a video of the start up. This was the second try. The first try, the throttle blades were set too far open and it revved pretty high, so I shut it down.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8106225418

Great Install! Very Impressive!!

Wandered if you could help me? I'm running an MS2 V2.2 with EDIS_8 on a rover V8 (been running OK on MS1, just upgraded to MS2) what MS2 code version are you running? Are you using Megatune 2.25? If so, any chance you could share your .msq? (i'm unable to fine the setting to enable EDIS in my msq)

The car has been fine on the MS1, but i would like to have finer injector control at low speeds (MS2 has better injector timing res)
Did try the HR code for the MS1, it did run but had problems, assumed it mite be better to go with the newer MS2.

Any comments/help apprecated! Cheers Dale :D