Supercharged 2.3 liter Ford with DIS

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Merkur, etc.
anupaum
MegaSquirt Newbie

Supercharged 2.3 liter Ford with DIS

Post by anupaum »

It's been a LONG time coming . . .

With many thanks to Scott Hall and Peter Florance, I have my V3 Megasquirt I up and running in my Ranger. I'm using Scott's adaptor board in place of the factory computer, with an extension cable connecting to the Megasquirt beneath the dash.

For ignition, I'm running the factory DIS module with its Hall effect crank sensor. I've wired the front coil into my rear coil so that I'm only driving four spark plugs instead of eight. At some point in the future, I'll be installing a Merkur turbo head on this engine, so the four spark plugs aren't really a big deal.

It's taken me awhile to figure out the software interface, but now that I see how the graphs work in Megatune, I've been able to do several things. The first, is that I've got my idle to sit steadily between 940 and 1 000 rpm with a 14.7 : 1 AFR.

I've tuned the main part of my VE bins, so that I've got a stoichometric ratio at cruise and deceleration (the latter has to be changed), and somewhere to start for my acceleration enrichments. The truck runs as good or better now than it ever has!

In addition, I've played around with the spark advance settings. With a little work, I've taken out the detonation and managed to get enough advance into the lower end of the spark map so that I can let out my clutch without touching the throttle and the engine won't die! I've tuned out all of the bucking that used to occur when I snapped the throttle open. It accelerates smoothly now!

I'm surprised that this hasn't been harder to do. I still have to work on the cruise settings, and I'm going to tweak the fuel maps for maximum efficiency at several different points. The MS Tweak 3000 software that's SUPPOSED to enable me to do this hasn't revealed its secrets yet. In addition, the warmup enrichments seem excessive, as the engine revs to 2 500 rpm when cold, then it decays slowly to idle speed as the engine warms up.

But it runs, and it runs WELL! Thanks again to Scott and Peter!

robert
Supercharged and intercooled 1993 2.3 liter 4 cylinder, 5 speed Ford Ranger.

Adventure for Your Mindhttp://www.newadventure.ca
Supertruck Page
giamanut
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by giamanut »

Hi hey do you have a picture of this thing.
I have a 2.3L turbo and want to add a supercharger with a electric clutch
I run dual edis4 modules for all 8 plugs and run 20 psi boost
thought I'd make it come on below 6 psi
at what rpm do you get max boost and what is your max boost?
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Greg
93 dual plug edis turbo 2.3 mustang
anupaum
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by anupaum »

Hello!

Yes, I have photos of the installation. You can go the website, though it hasn't been updated in a long time, and check it out for yourself:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/rabello

My maximum boost is 5 psi, and it's available the instant I crack open the throttle.

robert
Supercharged and intercooled 1993 2.3 liter 4 cylinder, 5 speed Ford Ranger.

Adventure for Your Mindhttp://www.newadventure.ca
Supertruck Page