Has anyone tried MS on the Yamaha 3.0 or 3.2 of the SHO?

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Merkur, etc.
Off Road SHO
MegaSquirt Newbie

Has anyone tried MS on the Yamaha 3.0 or 3.2 of the SHO?

Post by Off Road SHO »

Just curious if I will be the first. I have a few SHOs and a SHO motor in my off road car, a Tatum Sand Demon. She (her name is The Other Woman) currently is using the stock EEEC-IV computer with an SCT custom tune chip. I have adapted a Roots style Eaton blower from an 89 T-bird SuperCoupe to this motor and she runs great, basically doubled the HP and torque to the ground. On asphalt, she has done a 12.48 @110 mph and I routinely walk aturally aspirated LS-1 powered buggies at the sand drags. Except I can't do the tuning.

I'm now considering going to a single turbo (a lot of guys with Extreme Performance buggies with this motor turbo'd "supposedly" are getting close to 600 hp). Since this will be a major overhaul of the plumbing, I'm thinking it would be an ideal opportunity to convert to a MS system.

Has anybody here heard of anyone that might have done a MS system on a Ford Taurus SHO motor.

Thanks for any insight.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All your polished parts are belong to me.
knny48
MegaSquirt Newbie

SHO

Post by knny48 »

If the SHO uses an EDIS module (and I believe it does) and has a factory crank sensor w/ a VR sensor it should work very easy with MSII. You can use coil packs and all the factory sensors,CLT,TPS,O2,IAT
Victorymike18
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Victorymike18 »

Hello.

Has there been any follow-up on this? I recently bought a '91 SHO, and have plans to swap the motor into something else, and go with MS.

I posted a question about the trigger wheel on SHOforum.com a long time ago, and this is the answer that I got:

"The trigger on the SHO motor is a 3 vane hall effect that uses a 1 vane
hall effect sensor on one of the cam shafts to determine TDC. Some one on
here mentioned trying to use the Megasquirt system, not sure of what became
of it."

It sounds like the SHO motor does not have a trigger wheel/VR sensor setup... I recall seeing a "DIS" module on the crossover tube on the SHO motor, but I'm not sure if this is the same as EDIS. (The SHO does use a coil pack)
thecrew2999
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Has anyone tried MS on the Yamaha 3.0 or 3.2 of the SHO?

Post by thecrew2999 »

i currently got the MSII version 3 running everything on a SHO, butterflies, fuel, spark and IAC so id be glad to help out...