2 litre Zetec plus bike throttle bodies in Westfield kit car

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Merkur, etc.
fatbaldbloke
MegaSquirt Newbie

2 litre Zetec plus bike throttle bodies in Westfield kit car

Post by fatbaldbloke »

After many months of experimenting I can report total success with Suzuki GSXR 600 throttle bodies fitted to a Zetec 2 litre (silver top) in a Westfield kit car. It runs superbly right through the rev range, totally progressive and with over 165bhp at the flywheel and no pops and bangs whatsoever. It's been a labour of love as the nature of the TB's give a very fast change of MAP signal when the butterflies are cracked open, and from there on there's not enough resolution to really work with, so the typical setup just doesn't work. To cut a long story short (which includes several weeks playing with hybrid AlphaN and other extreme reaches of the code) with it now set to basic AlphaN for the fuel and ignition map y-axes, but using the fast moving MAP signal to trigger rpm based AE, it is brilliant. And with 165bhp in a car that ways just under 600kg, it is QUICK!!!
I'm happy to help share the experience if anyone is going down the bike TB route, especially GSXR's which have some very odd quirks just above idle.
turbolambo
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by turbolambo »

If you could give some detailed info on your tuning that would be great. I am using them on a turbocharged nissan sr20 engine and your project sounds like a match
Greg Armstrong
SRoss
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by SRoss »

Congratulations! I like your engine combination quite a bit, do you have any pictures of the throttle body setup? I will be PM'ing you with further questions. I am doing a similar setup on an SVT Zetec engine.
1994 Ford Probe GT 2.5L, T04B, 370cc, MS2.
1981 Ford Fairmont, 351c, MS1.
ViolentBlue
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by ViolentBlue »

I've just picked up a set of r1 ITB's to go om my 2.0 zetec, which is going in my self built Locost.

looks like I'll be encountering similar issues to yours,
fatbaldbloke
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 2 litre Zetec plus bike throttle bodies in Westfield kit car

Post by fatbaldbloke »

If anyone's interested I've written up a couple of articles on my website covering the conversion to bike throttle bodies and the engine setup and tuning of the msq. The link will take you to my homepage, click on the Westfield link and there's buttons to the different topics.

http://www.fatbaldbloke.co.uk
alladdin
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by alladdin »

hi mate, thanks for the map and i have to say it ran my test mule very well "off load".
heres a short vid http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ugup7GTn8Q

and my build up story. http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=128068

thanks again. :yeah!:
fatbaldbloke
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by fatbaldbloke »

My pleasure. :D
biddavexxl
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by biddavexxl »

hi im helping a mate who is using gsxr 750 tb on a zetec silver top engine in a spitfire and i have got to make the wiring and map the ecu eneychance u could send me help with the maping and what problems did u encounter when conecting the ecu to the tb eney help would be very apreciated thanks and what did u do about the ignition side of it
fatbaldbloke
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by fatbaldbloke »

Can I suggest a starting point would be to look at the notes on my website, www.fatbaldbloke.co.uk. Go to the Westfield page then click on the throttle bodies and megasquirt buttons. There's lots of useful details in there, I hope, and some specific links to help with the wiring. When you're closer to programming the ecu drop me a pm with an email address and I can let you have some map details.
Cheers,
FBB
krismc
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by krismc »

Hello mate dont know if you seen my posts in the other forum but im struggling to get my Kit car through its SVA test....nearly 2 years of engine Probs

If you could help with maps that would be great, mines a 2 litre blacktop zetec with cams and Gxsr 750 Throttle boddies, and for some reason the emmisions are really bad and ive failed 3 svas, currently my car is in a kit car workshop in cannock staffs and ive been looking for someone to tune it with no luck, but if you could lend a hand with MAPS that would be great!!

cheers kris,

Kris.mcgough@sky.com