83 Rx-7 with 2.3 Ford Turbo Runs Great

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Merkur, etc.
Matigi
MegaSquirt Newbie

83 Rx-7 with 2.3 Ford Turbo Runs Great

Post by Matigi »

The cars a 1st gen RX-7, with a 2.3T out of a XR4ti.
Engine was completely rebuilt, .30 over JE Forged pistons.
85# injectors
MSII V3 Extra
Ported Head, Rotated and gutted intake.
Huge intercooler with 3 inch piping
Rebuilt T3 turbo
Turbo XS BOV
5.0 WC T5
High volume Oil pump
EDIS Ignition
Innovative LC-1 Wideband
Ranger roller cam
97 B2200 Serpintine belt setup
3 inch Downpipe with full mandrel bent 3 inch side exit exhaust no muffler or cats
85 GSL LSD 3.9 ratio

The car runs strong, only running stock 14 PSI right now and it will spin the tires in 3rd. Still need to tune timing, raise the boost, and retard the cam a few degrees. I was amazed at how drivable the car is, very smooth, even on solid mounts. No problem getting the 85# injectors to idle smoothly. Need to work out some bugs out of my PWM Idle control circuit, But am very happy with how everything turned out!

Thanks to this board for all the help along the way!

-Matt
UNTAMND
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by UNTAMND »

Hows your car running now, any more improvements, updates, tune file. Im im the process of putting ms onto almost everything i work on, and its easy to wire up and get running, but the learning curve is a little slow for me. Im slowly getting it, but help is always welcome. I have a 97 ranger 2.3turbo, that I am getting running right now. I had it running sweet thanks to jacob, still needs tweaking for sure, but i have to get a wideband first.
94 GT 5spd Custom Built TWIN Turbo System and MS
67 Mustang Fastback 390 c6 dual quad
You know the "RED" area of the tach???....Thats called..."The FUN ZONE"
giamanut
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by giamanut »

You having any problems with the HV oil pump stripping the dis gear?
93 dual plug edis turbo 2.3 mustang
PDenbigh
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 83 Rx-7 with 2.3 Ford Turbo Runs Great

Post by PDenbigh »

Just curious if you could share how you set up a timing pointer on that engine when using EDIS? Did you use the 36-1 wheel on the crank? I have PyroPete's setup but can't figure out how to set up a timing mark... The stock cover no longer fits. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Peter
Matigi
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 83 Rx-7 with 2.3 Ford Turbo Runs Great

Post by Matigi »

Hey guys, updates. the engine is now in a 86 RX-7. i opted for the better chassis, and independant rear suspension. Feels great, had a holset on there for a while but i didn't like the spool characteristics, making full boost at 4000 rpm. I'm boosting around 21-22 on the stock .63 T3 turbo, and it feels great! I just grinded out the original timing cover so that it fits over top of the new 36-1 crank wheel. I got rid of the hv pump after stripping a dizzy gear. and no problems any more, also using 5w30 synthetic and the thinner oil seems to put less pressure on the gear. fingers crossed! just got the closed loop idle control working on the stock valve. Also built a custom upper intake so it all fits under the stock 7 hood, with a 5.0 throttle body. I will be putting togeather a website going into details about all the modifications and everything required with the swap.

Thanks guys,
Matt