Zetec in a Spitfire

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Merkur, etc.
dukeofione
MegaSquirt Newbie

Zetec in a Spitfire

Post by dukeofione »

Hello, I am new to this but have a project and am trying to decide what way to go for ignition and fuel. I have mounted a ZX2 1998 zetec engine in a Triumph spitfire. The drivetrain is in and now to make it run.
For spark timing the standard 36-1 flywheel and factory sensor. Plan to use the stock coil pack, wasted spark. For fuel--carbs, maybe--but the engine has the stock intake and throttle body. It would run nicer, ? if I use the stock intake, non return fuel rail, injectors. I do not have a MAF or oxygen sensor. I could install a wide band sensor. Do I need the MAF.

It would need a high pressure fuel pump. Can I control that with a Megasquirt from the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail?

Of course if I use carbs then maybe an old EDIS unit will run spark directly from the flywheel?

I have looked at tons of aftermarket, OMEX, Electromotive, Emerald, etc. Am confused and many routes are very expensive.

Has anyone tried this, running the zx2 zetec with aftermarket equipment and could offer advise. I have a lot of years experience, 61, but am not an electronic savvy person, any advice? Someone local?

Thank you, Ralph Chantry, Portland OR
Loren
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Zetec in a Spitfire

Post by Loren »

Let me take a stab here... but you'll do better to a) read the Megamanual and b) post on the main MS board... this board isn't really a Q&A kind of place, it's mostly where people post about their successes.

Definitely go with the MS. That engine is all set for it. No fabrication of manifolds or fuel rails or anything... just do a little plumbing, wire it up and go... it doesn't get any easier! It will run silky smooth on EFI, without all that carb tuning, retuning, rebuilding, fiddling and finicky-ness.

The 36-1 toothed wheel and sensor that you have should be perfect for the Ford EDIS ignition, which works brilliantly (and VERY simply) with the MS. EDIS is a wasted spark system, should work with your coil (works with any coil as far as I know) just fine.

You will need to probably modify the fuel rail to have a fuel-return. I think some people have played with returnless systems, but it's a whole lot easier to run a return. If you go returnless, you'll need a special fuel pump, some kind of feedback to control it (MS doesn't). With a standard return system, you just need a high-pressure pump.

Megasquirting a Zetec should be pretty easy to do, and with a wideband, tuning it will be a breeze. You don't need a lot of electronics knowledge beyond just a basic understanding of wiring. You'll learn much as you go, and you'll find plenty of help from fellow enthusiasts and the knowledgeable MS vendors... but I think you'll find more of that help on the main forum mentioned above.

PS: Your project interests me because I just Megasquirted my Spitfire: http://invisiblesun.org/blog/