Kyle Loftis, Turbocharged 2000 Ford Mustang GT

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Merkur, etc.
1320video
MegaSquirt Newbie

Kyle Loftis, Turbocharged 2000 Ford Mustang GT

Post by 1320video »

Most likely the first Modular Motor MegaSquirt with full fuel and ignition control!

Name: Kyle Loftis
Vehicle: 2000 Ford Mustang GT
Engine: 4.6 liters (281ci), V8
Injection: 42 LBS/HR
Description: Megasquirt used in conjunction with new ignition system with EDIS-8 ignition control module, GM temp sensors, boost input for logging, and widewand (PLX Devices) also used, factory computer was completely removed and car runs GREAT, will be re-installing factory computer for gauge cluster functionality though (odometer is at 000000).

FULL DOCUMENTATION AVAILABLE AT: http://www.boostang.com

mbohn

Post by mbohn »

"Most likely the first Modular Motor MegaSquirt with full fuel and ignition control!"

Neat project. What does "Modular Motor" mean?
dieselgeek
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by dieselgeek »

"modmotor" is the term given (in the States anyways) to Ford's "modular" 4.6 and 5.4 liter OHC V8 motors.

He's probably the first fuel/spark modular config, there is one other guy in success stories who did a fuel-only setup on a 97 mustang GT.

-scott
Successfully Squirt'd: GM LS1 6.7l turbo
Squirt-n-Spark'd: Ford SOHC 4.6 turbo, Blown Ford 5.0l, Turbo Ford 2.5l KL, Turbo Ford 2.3l, 1G & 2G turbo 2.0l DSMs, Honda B18B turbo, Nissan SR-20DE, GM 4.3 SyTy, Neon 420 turbo, 13B-T Rotary, 22RE-T, Honda H22
SRoss
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by SRoss »

It looks great, congrats! I will be doing the same fuel/spark conversion near the end of the summer with my 4.6. Mine is from a 93'Lincoln Mark VIII so I think it will be somewhat easier because of not having coil on plug and I'm only working with the engine harness since its for a hotrod. I'm sure I'll be checking out your website for ideas periodically!

~Shawn

ps. did you ever dyno it?
1994 Ford Probe GT 2.5L, T04B, 370cc, MS2.
1981 Ford Fairmont, 351c, MS1.
1320video
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 1320video »

no dyno yet, rebuilding motor and buying new clutch/tranny

Are you going to be running fuel on the DOHC?
SRoss
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by SRoss »

I'm going to be running fuel and spark. This will be my first time setting up MS on a distributorless engine so it should be fun.

As far as the engine: it is from a 93' Mark VIII, its the early model DOHC with the 6-bolt crank, aluminum block and twin port heads. I'll be keeping the heads stock because my budget is tight, maybe if I'm lucky I will find some Lincoln Navigator cams. I'm trying to source out a used 8-bolt crank but haven't had any luck so the bottom end might stay stock for a while.

The turbo is a pieced together T76 from a few broken turbos, 60lb. injectors from the junkyard, I haven't figured out what to do about the intake... but the Mark VIII intake stinks, especially with the 1st gen IMRC plates. Since Cobra intakes are expensive I'll probably end up making a short runner manifold with the Mark VIII's flanges and sacrifice some low end power.

Thats about it for now, I've been pretty busy fixing up odd's and ends on my Probe getting it ready for summer and haven't spent much time with the 4.6L for a while now. I can't wait to get started! Seeing your setup was inspiring.
1994 Ford Probe GT 2.5L, T04B, 370cc, MS2.
1981 Ford Fairmont, 351c, MS1.