1984 CJ-7 with 258 I6 and multiport 4.0 manifold

Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, Eagle, Jeep, AMC, etc.
Hans
MegaSquirt Newbie

1984 CJ-7 with 258 I6 and multiport 4.0 manifold

Post by Hans »

Name: Hans Haase
Vehicle: 1984 Jeep CJ-7
Engine: 258ci AMC Straight-6
Injection: Multiport manifold and associated components from '93 Cherokee 4.0, but still using the 4.2 cylinder head
Description: Currently running Megasquirt I on a 2.2 version board, with a GM HEI distributor from an I6 Chevy.
Status: Running and driving, but only beginning the long tuning process right now. After that, it's time to slowly go back and re-do all the crimp connectors in the harness with some proper solder and heat-shrink.
Future Plans: Probably next summer will be a 4.0 cylinder head swap, as well as a 1999+ style intake manifold.

Pictures to follow in a few days.
Hans
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Hans »

Latest Update:
Passed NY State emissions testing 11-4-2005. Running great both around town and on the highway. Massive improvements in fuel efficiency, driveablility and power since removal of the Carter BBD carburetor.

-Hans
duskylim
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1984 CJ-7 with 258 I6 and multiport 4.0 manifold

Post by duskylim »

Dear Hans,

I have a friend with a 1994 (?) Jeep Wagoner here in the Philippines bought ex-military from Clark Airbase in Pampanga. It has a 4 liter straight six with multi-point fuel injection. Recently the injection control unit failed. Is this engine similar to yours? Would it be feasible to replace the control unit with a MegaSquirt unit? Would you recommend we try this?

Thanks a bunch,

Regards,

Dusky Lim
anthony
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by anthony »

do you have any pictures ???

i swapped a 4.0l into an 86 cj7 and couldn't get anything but the 4.2l intake to fit with the brake booster .. tried a renix intake, a early mopar and the 99+
Hans
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Hans »

I had forgotten about my old posts here but wanted to answer some of the questions I saw, despite their age, now that I'm back on the forum again. I realize that these are months to years old, but I hate leaving hanging questions.

1. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. Due to other issues, unrelated to the Megasquirt, I parted ways with this CJ-7 a few years ago. I also no longer have the computer that had the tune files I had been using.

2. Regarding fit issues on your CJ-7. Part of the problem may be that the intake ports on the 4.0 head are about an inch or so higher than they are on the 4.2 head. This would raise the whole intake up by about the same amount. I know there are people out there swapping the 4.0 into CJ's, but I have never done it myself. My swap used the original 4.2 head, never got around to a 4.0 head swap.

3. The '94 engines are a much later design than the 258 I was using. Essentially, the 258 I started with had a carburetor and massively complex vacuum system for emissions. The later 4.0 always used fuel injection in one form or another, and later designs were distributorless. I don't know if the '94 had a distributor or not, if it DOES have a distributor it would be a fairly easy conversion, so I would try it. (though I do realize I am replying 4 years after your post).

-Hans