Ben Slagle, 1992 Dodge / Mitsubishi Ram 50

Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, Eagle, Jeep, AMC, etc.
cbslagle
MegaSquirt Newbie

Ben Slagle, 1992 Dodge / Mitsubishi Ram 50

Post by cbslagle »

Name: Ben Slagle (cbslagle)
Vehicle: 1992 Dodge / Mitsubishi Ram 50
Engine: 2.4L 4G64 Mitsubishi I4, completely stock
Injection: Stock port injection, 4 injectors
Description: Everything on this truck is stock except for the Ford TFI ignition module/coil, which is the CCD version and is working great. I wired the stock Mitsubishi optical distributor to the Ford module because the old ignition didn't work and I have a lot of TFIs. I'll post diagrams when I get the chance. I'm controlling both fuel and spark with a MegaSquirt v2.2 w/ MSnS-Extra firmware and MegaTune 2.25. The engine sounds great, even with 126,000 miles, and it runs like new. 1000 miles on the conversion and counting...
cbslagle
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by cbslagle »

Latest update: 3000 miles and counting, still running great! My water pump failed, and in replacing it, I noticed the previous owner had installed the timing belt off by two teeth. :x After correcting this error, I had to change the VE table a lot, but it runs a lot better now.

I have also recently upgraded to MSnS-E version 029q , still running great.
cbslagle
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by cbslagle »

News flash: Still running 029q code, now at 14000 miles since MS installation. The only part I've had to replace was the Ford TFI that failed on a hot day in the middle of nowhere. (Note: Even though a TFI may still make sparks, it is probably not working properly.) I've been using this truck for things I probably shouldn't, like towing cars on a flatbed trailer on the interstate at highway speeds (With a proper trailer brake controller), but it keeps running like new.

Also in the works: I'm currently testing my prototype Sequential Injection/DIS controller which is compatible with Megasquirt-I. It requires two signals at cam speed to operate, one for each cylinder to fire and one per cam revolution. More on this subject will be available when I get to the PCB etching stage.

I've also been experimenting with E85 (85% Ethanol / 15% Gasoline) and have had some good results. I'll post some datalogs from gas and E85 when I get another laptop.
cbslagle
MegaSquirt Newbie

150,000 mile update

Post by cbslagle »

The truck just hit 150,000 miles and is running strong from Youngstown, OH to Cranberry Township, PA three times a week and to Natrona Heights, PA once or twice a week.. The MegaSquirt has now accumulated 24,000 miles without a single problem. (There have been issues with the Ford TFI ignition on hot days, but that was not caused by the MegaSquirt.) I have also added an electric fan from a Buick 3.8L and a much larger alternator from another Mitsubishi engine.

Side note: With some coercing, the power steering belt on this vehicle will fit on the alternator in an emergency.
cbslagle
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by cbslagle »

Just hit the 159,000 mile mark this afternoon, that's 33,000 on the MegaSquirt from DIYAutoTune.com. Not too much else going on, I finally replaced the awful TFI system with a GM 4-pin HEI system and an older Ford Ranger TFI coil. This arrangement actually caught the stock Mitsubishi plug wires on fire (No, they weren't touching anything hot.) I suppose they probably weren't designed to handle that much voltage. (The TFI coil is a lot bigger than the original Mitsubishi coil.)
cbslagle
MegaSquirt Newbie

E85

Post by cbslagle »

I've run a few tanks of E85 (~85% gasoline, ~15% ethanol depending upon season) and have met with a great deal of success. I've tried both scaling the entire VE table up and adjusting req_fuel, and both ways, it runs great except for a slight hesitation just under 2000 RPM. I'm sure, though, that it would run a lot better with a separate tune for E85, and my datalogs concur. The truck does run a lot smoother, and acceleration is slightly better, on E85. Gas mileage is down 15-25% depending on whether or not I take advantage of that improved acceleration. 36,000 miles on the MegaSquirt, 162,000 on the truck.
cbslagle
MegaSquirt Newbie

Supercharger!

Post by cbslagle »

I finally picked up an Eaton M90 supercharger off a Buick 3800 (L67) engine, courtesy of Cleveland Auto Wrecking. I'm going to adapt it to my intake either by casting an adapter or welding up a sheet metal intake. It needs bearings, but the rotors look OK and it still spins. No snout, though, I may have to fabricate one. Hopefully the M90 isn't too big, being from a 3.8l. I'm only looking for about 10-15 PSI, it should work. Next comes the wideband O2 sensor.
cbslagle
MegaSquirt Newbie

Supercharger rebuilding!

Post by cbslagle »

I found a great pictorial guide to installing new rotor bearings/seals in the Eaton M90. It's http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread. ... structions . It's for the Thunderbird Super Coupe blowers, but it's applicable to the GM version as well. Napa Auto Parts has the rotor bearings and seals, they're SKF 6203 and they're reasonable. (Ask for an SKF 6203 bearing, and a 6203 seal. I got mine in North Lima, Ohio.) T minus one month to installation. I've also advanced the cam timing one tooth, it's a lot faster now.
cbslagle
MegaSquirt Newbie

Last MSQ bvefore turbo

Post by cbslagle »

Long time no see... figured I'd post an update. I gave up on the supercharger idea, way too much in the fabrication department. I have acquired a fully operational Mitsubishi TE04H turbo in good condition and will be installing it. I picked up an Innovate LC-1 wideband sensor with controller. I'm in the middle of putting together the exhaust manifold for the turbo right now. I picked ip all the oil and water fittings at Napa except for the $16 BSPT to NPT adapter to take off oil from the pressure sender hole(if you have an Eclipse or a Honda, you know how much fun that is to find.) I did manage to find the adapter at AutoZone though. It's Autometer part # 2269 . The MSQ file attached is the last tune I did before I started work on the turbo project. It works with a Ford TFI (black CCD type) module connected to the stock Mitsubishi coil and to the stock optical pickup in the distributor. MSNS-E version 029q. :RTFM:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Cramer
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Ben Slagle, 1992 Dodge / Mitsubishi Ram 50

Post by Matt Cramer »

Sounds like a cool project - I recently picked up a '85 Ram 50 with the 4G63 SOHC for free.
Matt the Mad Scientist
'66 Dodge Dart - slant six Megasquirt project
My blog about my cars