4.2 AXQ V8 engine

ViolentBlue
MegaSquirt Newbie

4.2 AXQ V8 engine

Post by ViolentBlue »

Not sure if the AQX has crossover into Audi, But I have the oppertunity to buy the engine from a VW touareg for a really good deal. (for another silly project)
I have a built megasquirt ECU ready to go from another project, as well as a LN1 wide band O2.
engine is complete, less wiring harness and ECU

anyone forsee any problems getting it to work? any similar projects out there?
Two914s
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 4.2 AXQ V8 engine

Post by Two914s »

I have a 2001 Audi "AUX" 40 valve V8 that I am currently converting to MS 3 with MS3X board. I hope to have the MS3X board operating the variable valve timing and the variable length intake manifold as well as everything else. I will be running sequential injection and 8 coils. I am hoping to start the engine in the next few days.

I am in Atlanta, Georgia
ViolentBlue
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by ViolentBlue »

hey, how did this work out?
I'd defiantly switch to MS3 if it meant getting this engine running.
Senko
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Senko »

Hello I am about to purchase an a8 with the 4.2 v8 quattro from 98, I have been a long time MS fan even though I have yet to had a chance to put it into anything. I am also located in Kennesaw GA a little north of ATL and would love to know if this ever worked on the audi system.
nickt
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by nickt »

Hi Guys
Did anyone have any luck getting the V8 to run with Megasquirt? I have been trying for months with a MS2 v3 and edis8
Cheers
Nick
Audi 4.2 abh
aixx
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by aixx »

I have running ABZ, engine 99% stock. MS2 V3.57 Extra . 8x BIP373
Two914s
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Two914s »

I now have my 2001 Audi AUX 40 valve V8 running on MS3/MS3X using the stock coils ( on the plugs ). Is the AXQ engine a 40 valve, or 32 valve?

It has taken me three girlfriends (a measure of time and frustration in my world) to get this engine running correctly. My biggest problems have been with my own design of a 60-2 tooth trigger. I am not running the engine in the Audi chassis, so I couldn't use the stock sensor which is located in the Audi transmission. Basically, I made some stupid mistakes that are no fault of the megasquirt system at all.

I have finally gotten the trigger working consistently, so I am now tuning. Now that my last girlfriend has stomped off, (saying... "you care more about my car than I do about her.. and it doesnt even run!!") I have much more time to get things working.

I haven't connected the variable valve timing or variable length intake manifold yet, but I plan to very soon.

I dont have the cam position sensor sensor connected yet, so I am running a wasted-spark ignition timing.

What questions do people have on the 40 valve 4.2 Audi V8 engines (~2000 - ~2004)??

I have a Lexus LS 400 engine ( 4.0 liter 32 valve V8 ) running on MS2 with Ford EDIS ignition, so I know a little about that system also. It has been running for years, and I really like the EDIS ignition system.

BTW, my experience with these Audi engines is that they are very very sensitive to the quality of oil they are running. Any sludge at all will plug up the very tiny orifices in the oiling system, and cause complete engine failure. Change your oil OFTEN with these engines.

Oh, and check out the cam timing chain system on the ~2005+ Audi V8 Note that this is the transmission/flywheel side of the engine.
Audi B6B7 timing chain.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickt
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by nickt »

aixx wrote:I have running ABZ, engine 99% stock. MS2 V3.57 Extra . 8x BIP373
Hi, any chance you could post your MSQ please?
I am still struggling to get my engine running nicely.
Cheers
Nick
kholman
Site Admin

Post by kholman »

There can be value in studying another msq.
Differences, even minor ones, in configuration can make a huge difference in the way your engine runs. To guard against possible damage to your vehicle, we caution against using someone else's map for your install. You will find assistance in creating your own map that works with your engine in the Megamanual. Assistance, if you need it after building and reading the manual, is available in the MSEFI.com forum or in the MSExtra.com forum is you also run the MS3.
Forum Admin Team
nickt
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by nickt »

kholman wrote:There can be value in studying another msq.
Differences, even minor ones, in configuration can make a huge difference in the way your engine runs. To guard against possible damage to your vehicle, we caution against using someone else's map for your install. You will find assistance in creating your own map that works with your engine in the Megamanual. Assistance, if you need it after building and reading the manual, is available in the MSEFI.com forum or in the MSExtra.com forum is you also run the MS3.
Well I have never heard that before, the whole idea of megasquirt is sharing and collaboration. I understand that you can not just provide a fully tuned map, but at the very least a base map with a tried and tested advance and fuel table. In 30 years of tuning I have never suggested anyone read the manual and start from scratch.