1835cc Sandrail

mjensenms
MegaSquirt Newbie

1835cc Sandrail

Post by mjensenms »

Well, after about a year in the making, we were able to get the MSEFI to work like a champ! We had some issues with oversized injectors, but we were able to make it all work.

Attached are some early photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phj420
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1835cc Sandrail

Post by phj420 »

looks good, but your intake runners look a bit too large for an 1835....Do you have any more recent pictures?

also curious where you mounted your megasquirt?
2108cc Turbo VW Sandrail
MSII, EDIS, Custom header, intake, fuel rails, plenum, H20 intercooler & more
Read my success story
mjensenms
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by mjensenms »

Sorry for the delay on responding. The runners are a bit large for an 1835, but our hope is to upgrade the size to maybe a 2010 or 2180, so we didn't want to build another set. It actually runs out very well compaired to the old carburated system ;-). As far as mounting, it has been mounted under the center console between the seats. Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out, but I do regret my choice of injectors as I WAY overestimated what a 1835 or even a 2180 would produce as far as HP. We compensated fairly well by cranking down the fuel pressure as we watched the MegaTune and did visual inspections on the plugs. I was very impressed with it's performance after that.
phj420
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by phj420 »

I do regret my choice of injectors as I WAY overestimated what a 1835 or even a 2180 would produce as far as HP
What size injectors are you running? I am idling well with 42lb/hr injectors. Check out my project. viewtopic.php?f=88&t=22767. I have a 2108cc turbo sandrail with a similar setup to yours.
2108cc Turbo VW Sandrail
Read my success story
mjensenms
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by mjensenms »

That looks like it turned out well for you! We're running 35 lb/hrs, and I wish we would have went with 25-28's. We lost some tunability, but it runs pretty well. Good enough to bust the nose cone on the transmission :(
phj420
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by phj420 »

I wish I had smaller injectors too. It would be nice to be able to run 4 squirts alternating.

the 42/hr were the only high impedence ev-1 ones I could find with a narrow spray pattern
2108cc Turbo VW Sandrail
Read my success story
Devastator
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Devastator »

I'm running 42LB injectors, but I'm also using E85. You could mix E85 with your gas or run it straight to optimize your injector size. Engines running E85 use more fuel, but take advantage of more advance and a cooling effect on the intake air.
Just my 2c.
Love the intake runners!
2276 Turbo ACVW burning E85
MS2 w/spark
LC-1
The sand must be punished.
mjensenms
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by mjensenms »

I never thought of running E85. I'd be interested to see how it performs. Would there need to be any optimizing we would need to do to make it run on E85?
Devastator
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Devastator »

You can usually turn up the ignition advance a few degrees across the board. It's kinda hard to start when it's cold outside, but I can get mine to start at around 50 degrees. Any colder than that, and I go back in the house anyway.
You will have to re-tune the VE table, but you can probably increase all the values by 30% and be pretty close, since you will use about 30% more E85 than you would gasoline. If you max out your injectors, you can always just decrease the amount of alcohol in the mixture by adding gasoline. E85 has an octane rating of 102-115, so it is awesome for turbocharged engines, and high compression engines. Often times, the engine's compression ratio can be increased and the timing advanced enough to get the same mileage as a gasoline powered engine due to the increased horsepower allowing the engine to work less.
Most modern components are compatible with E85. I also suggest not leaving it in your tank for more than a month at a time, as it will form a "petrolium jelly" if left in the lines for a long while. It can also clean all the "gunk" in the fuel system and dump it in the fuel filter the first couple of times you run it. NBO2 sensors will not "see" E85, but WBO2 sensors will. I programmed mine to see prefect Lambda as 14.7:1 AFR which makes tuning easier. Perfect Lambda for E85 is around 13:1 I think, but I don't really remember.
2276 Turbo ACVW burning E85
MS2 w/spark
LC-1
The sand must be punished.
mjensenms
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by mjensenms »

Well, maybe when we get it back together we'll giver a go :)