8V ABA/Counterflow Hybrid Jetta

Post by secondgen »

2L ABA shortblock
Heavily worked 1.8L Counterflow head w/ TT 276* camshaft
Mustang TB/tps and an adapter plate
19# VR6 VW injectors
MS1 V2.2 MSnS
Bosch External Ignition Control w/ MSD Blaster Coil

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by secondgen on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
secondgen

Re: 8V ABA/Counterflow Hybrid Jetta

Post by secondgen »

Been doing lots of tuning, daily driven and some race tuning at the local track. Drives very well i think for what i know (or don't).

Decent daily drivability, aside from the cold starts. No idle control so, it's choppy untill i hit 130*. ~25mpg mixed highway and town driving. Sparkmap is still unchanged. Haven't ventured into that tuning area yet, still trying to get fuel where i want it. :D

The motor has had a few changes since the last post; the updated specs are:

Camshaft retarded to a total of 6* (was 2*)
24# Bosch Injectors (Blue tops)

Running on the attached MSQ file at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
secondgen

Post by secondgen »

This is a dyno from a tune prior to the current one, in which the AE settings were causing a super rich spike on fast opening throttle. This has since been (kinda) taken care of.

secondgen

Post by secondgen »

Latest Tune. Removed the mustang throttle body and adapter plate and installed a California-only spec. Digifant 2 Throttle body, features a TPS as apposed to the WOT and Idle switches found on the federal equipped cars. Slight tweaking to account for this change. Also fixed a few vacuum leaks where the manifold was welded back together.
secondgen

Post by secondgen »

Newest tune attached, upgraded to the MS1-Extra HiRes code, drives smoother and seems to be getting better gas mileage and holding a steadier idle cold and warm.

Leaned out to 17-18:1 in light throttle cruise on the highway at RPM's under 4k. Starts richening back up to 14-13:1 above 4k RPM. Smoothed out peaks in ignition table, and set 35*adv. in same light cruise conditions as stated above on the fuel map.

Moved MAP vac. line to a port closest to the secondary butterfly on the TB to try and smooth out some of the MAP 'noise' i was seeing in logs, seems to have worked. Also now sees max. MAP faster on quick throttle changes.

Motor coming back apart this late fall/winter for some upgrades.

**EDIT**

Just did ~900miles this last weekend to H20international in MD, this tune yielded me 36.8 MPG on the highway. Made it down in one tank, and back on almost 3/4 of a tank!!
secondgen

Post by secondgen »

Had the car dyno'd tonight, before I tear it apart for the next stage of the build.

Had some problems with the A/f, running very lean, then overcorrected, and ran really rich.

Best was 116hp/128tq, max torque coming in at 2500 RPM and staying around 125ft/lbs untill about 4800 RPM.

Not a ton of power, but VERY fun to drive! Stay tuned for the new motor set-up!
8valvehead
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 8valvehead »

Still tuned! Still waiting!....