Turbo 2108cc VW sandrail with H20 intercooler, EDIS, MSII

Bad bug
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Turbo 2108cc VW sandrail with H20 intercooler, EDIS, MSII

Post by Bad bug »

Please do post photos of the internals especially of the crank. I was thinking of buying one of these cranks from bob at demello. Is the engine very smooth and did you get the crank wedgemated.
phj420
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by phj420 »

I have used Demello cranks in the past with success. ( just make sure you get a stock welded crank.)

This one I believe is a Bergmann, but there were no identifying marks on it other then a 76 stamped in it. Its welding was fantastic and whoever built it did a really good job. I had it balanced and 8 doweled with 11/32" dowels. It takes about a ton of force to separate the flywheel from the crank ( I know this because the only way to get the two apart is with a hydraulic press. ) As for the engine, it is really smooth, I have read some things about full circles and how counter weighted cranks are better due to the fact that they are truly balanced, (Gene Berg doesn't like them, but he doesn't like anything anyway) but after sending this one to the shop we got it to spin smooth. The crank is counter weighted by using thicker flanges on one side. some pics (the quality sucks, but these are all that I have)

One thing for sure is the crank is much heavier than a normal counter weighted one. A good balance job with the pressure plate and pulley attached and you should be in business. As far as smoothness goes, my injectors are a bit over sized which makes idle tuning a bit rough, but such is life. The engine revs smooth to 6000.
2108cc Turbo VW Sandrail
MSII, EDIS, Custom header, intake, fuel rails, plenum, H20 intercooler & more
Read my success story
phj420
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by phj420 »

<<<<UPDATE>>>>

Well....... I have been tuning with great success. This car is awesome.

I have decided to stop attempting data logging during off road use.

I ran into a ditch at a high rate of speed and hurt myself, my rail, but most of all my computer.

I have not been able to post very much lately due to the fact that I have been working on fixing the twisted rail and I am using a different computer that sucks compared to my $2000 laptop.

I got the frame straightened out, I am healed, and I think I will be back in business and ready for VWs on the green on May 17th in Denver.
2108cc Turbo VW Sandrail
Read my success story
phj420
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by phj420 »

OK, I got a nice new computer, and I am datalogging off road with a much less expensive Palm Pilot.

Nothing really to add, I guess the coolest thing yet would be my low end tuning method.

I put the car on jack stands so that the wheels could spin freely with the car in place. I controlled throttle and glen controlled the turning brakes. Basically what we did is start the car and put it in 3rd gear. With the laptop in hand we pulled up the VE table in Tuner Studio. you can watch the dot in real time while looking at the VE table in tuner studio, so you can see where the engine is pulling its numbers. Looking at the bins, we started at the low rpm and map bins, and one at a time we pegged the dot as close to the center of the VE bin as possible. To get the bins at almost full load I had to apply almost open throttle while we applied the brakes to simulate load.

after data logging and trying to keep that dot in the center of all of the bins up to 1500 rpm and 85 kpa for a few seconds, we went back to the logs and looked at afr. It was really off before, the low bins lean and the high ones rich. It likes to idle best between 12 and 13 afr, so that is what we shot for. After a few runs and VE tweaking, we got it to idle almost as smooth as dual carbs. almost. Low end power and throttle response are much improved.

If only I had a dyno...

The car just keeps running better and better.

now that it is hot as hell out most days I experienced some detonation during extreme accelleration... data logged it and richened it up about 3 points in the problem area. it was a little lean. Now it is about 12 above 100kpa and < 3000 rpm

PROBLEM SOLVED. you can really hear and feel the detonation, and I am well tuned to listen for it now.
2108cc Turbo VW Sandrail
Read my success story
phj420
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Turbo 2108cc VW sandrail with H20 intercooler, EDIS, MSI

Post by phj420 »

I am very sorry for the lack of updates/ pics. I guess i have been too busy living the good life. :D

The Rail has become my DAILY DRIVER in the summer months. It has been through hell and back, and IT HAS NOT BROKEN DOWN ONCE! no B/S

I figured that I would post some pictures of the fun I have been having. Mind you, The Rail Lives at 10000FT!

Please enjoy the pics by clicking the link below: :mrgreen:

http://www.thejive.net/rail/index.html

here are a few from the site for you lazy people:

2108cc Turbo VW Sandrail
Read my success story