1960 Turbo Bug

chips60bug
MegaSquirt Newbie

1960 Turbo Bug

Post by chips60bug »

I have recently gotten my MS project car running and am now working on getting it roadworthy. Its been a bit of a long project for me but has been worth the experience. The bug is ratty looking, still in its original Arctic Blue paint from the factory. Its a little rusty, but absolutely straight! i decided to go MS in March 08 and have been slowly collecting parts and getting things together since then. I fired the motor for the first time right around Christmas, but had LC-1 issues that didn't get resolved till last weekend. So I've been doing a little tuning, mostly just low range and high range as its not street legal yet, so just short bursts around the neighborhood. The initial plan was to go turbo for the ultimate sleeper experience, but money and other unforseen things(got married) put a slight damper on that. I've managed to scrape the remaining funds together to finish this thing the way i intended though. This weekend things will hopefully be coming apart in preparing for the new turbo setup :twisted:
Specs:
1960 Bug
2054cc (74x94)
Mild port job on VW heads w/dual springs
8.0 to 1 compression
Engle TCS 20 cam
Rayjay 3 bolt turbo
Heater boxes(daily driver)
Wasted Spark ignition, using Ford coil pack, plug wires, VR sensor and Trigger wheel(Taurus)
Mexican Beetle intake runners, and fuel rails
55 lb/hr injectors
Fuel Composition sensor from 04 Suburban(Flex Fuel)
Launch Control
Burns E-85 right now
Last edited by chips60bug on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
chips60bug
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1960 Bug

Post by chips60bug »

Got the turbo installed but am having a small oil drain issue. I'll be making some changes to the lines and hopefully this will solve the problem. No runs yet as I haven't yet made the pipe to the TB, that'll be this week hopefully.
Bad bug
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Bad bug »

Who 74mm crank are you using and was it wedgemated.
chips60bug
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by chips60bug »

Its a Scat, probably 18 years old, but brand new. No it is not wedgemated.
chips60bug
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by chips60bug »

Small update:
Seized the motor in front of the house, it was sitting in my driveway idling away nice and easy. Then started making a ticking noise, I shut it right down, I thought it was my trigger wheel rubbing on a loose piece of cooling tin. I pulled out the tin and then went to start it back up. The motor was locked. I found that I could turn it backwards though, then it would stop. Turns out that there was about 50 degrees that I couldn't turn the crank. Something was obviously in the cylinder stopping the piston. I pushed the car into the garage, pulled the motor, found a spark plug that didn't look as pretty as the rest and pulled that head. Turns out that #3 intake guide broke and sent a chunk about 3/4" long into the cyl. Luckily no major damage internally. I got a brand new set of CNC ported 044's to replaced the old pieces of junk. I can't wait to get it back on the road! Should make a ton more power with the new heads, and they are set up for boost! No turbo yet though. I got it running two nights ago, but still haven't driven it yet. Hopefully tomorrow!
Chip
chips60bug
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by chips60bug »

Well, its official! The bug has hit daily driver status! I don't have a long commute or anything but I do definitely use it everyday and have no problem driving it for long distances on the freeway. The new heads make great power! I fixed a small fuel leak on the feed side of the fuel pump, so hopefully my fuel economy will be pretty sweet. I started work on the new turbo header last night and will hopefully get more accomplished this weekend. I can't wait!
chips60bug
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by chips60bug »

continued the work on the header and got it all tacked together. I can't wait to drive it with the new "boost" in power http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
here are some pics
chips60bug
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by chips60bug »

Well, all I can say is I love driving a turbo'd bug again! I've had a few that were carburated, and they were a blast to drive, but this one has taken it to a whole new level. Its not as raw or brutal as my latest carb'd bug, but I'm sure I could get it there if I wanted too. I'm running about 12psi currently and it feels great! It pulls hard! She starts easily, I never have to touch the throttle, thanks to the Bosch idle valve. It idles well and will get better when I switch over to closed loop. I'm running the last beta MS2extra2.1 code, and will switch to the release when I get the time to do it. It's burning E85 exclusively since I can't seem to get my Flex fuel sensor to work yet, it may be bad. The car hasn't been to the track yet, hopefully this weekend will be the one. I'm hoping for some pretty easy 13's out of the setup on the current low boost setting. Time will tell.
Chip
chips60bug
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by chips60bug »

I made it to the track! The car didn't run into the 13's, but ran a 14.4, with a mild launch, and on my street tires. So there is a lot of room to improve. I only ran 11 or so PSI of boost. It was running very rich and I wasn't really able to tune it while at the track unfortunately.
Chip
chips60bug
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by chips60bug »

Some major upgrades coming in 2010! Doing the internal ms mods now. I'll update with more info soon hopefully.