70-something Stires Trike

Sluggy
Helpful Squirter

Trike ADD

Post by Sluggy »

It's not so much attention deficit disorder as it is lots of little things needed attention and several related issues all had updates today.

The bumper arrived. I didn't realize that it would arrive without a box, though perhaps obviously, it would have been a monstrous box.

In some bits of spare time here and there, I have been working on the wiring diagram. Love open source software. This is about the third start of the diagram, but I have my head on straighter this time. :) The parts library did not have a Bosch relay, but I copied a similar relay and relabeled the pin numbers.

The exhaust system should be shotblasted bare by now, except for the muffler. The operators were concerned that the relatively lightweight metal on the muffler might not survive the Wheelabrator machine's aggressive cleaning, so I will need to remove the paint on it another way, probably chemically.

I started the application of the POR-15 fuel tank repair product to seal and refurbish the fuel tank. This is basically a three step chemical process.

First, the inside of the tank is cleaned of fuel, grease, varnish with a powerful non-petroleum degreaser they call Marine Clean. That is mixed 1:1 with hot water and poured into the tank. The directions suggest sealing the holes in the tank with duct tape, which I did. The cleaner is sloshed around thoroughly; I turned the tank on each side and agitated for 5 minutes, probably overkill. The Marine Clean is then rinsed out very thoroughly with water. I propped the tank up off the ground, stuck a sprayer hose in the top of the tank and let the water run for 5 minutes, flipped the tank over and let the water run another 5 minutes from that side.

Next, the insides are treated with Metal Ready, a phosphoric acid etchant that will make the final coat stick extremely well. Each side needs to soak in it for 20 minutes, so I basically set the tank on one side, poured in enough to comfortably cover that side and set my phone alarm for 10 minutes. I again sealed the openings with duct tape. When the alarm would go off, I would agitate it and hit snooze. You can reset the snooze apparently indefinitely, which is handy. When the snooze expired, hit snooze again, agitate and turn it to the next unsoaked side. I kept alternating between agitate and turn until all 6 sides had been soaked. I drained the Metal Ready into a plastic bucket then did the same 10 minute rinse as I had for the cleaner.

For the next step, the inside of the tank needs to be completely and absolutely dry. I don't have a handy blow dryer to leave running in the thing, but I did set up my shop fan blowing through it and am leaving that overnight. If that doesn't do it, I will set it in front of the big heater for a while tomorrow.

[update from Friday: The fan running overnight seems to have dried the tank just fine. Take a look at the inside!]

Once it's dry, seal up one opening, pour in a gob of Tank Sealer, seal up the other opening and basically slosh the stuff around until you're good and tired of it and let it drain for 30 minutes to ensure it's not puddled. It then needs to cure for 96 hours (that's 4 days, kids) before fuel is put in it. The waiting is the hardest part :)

During the 20 minute soaks above, I was not idle.

A friend with plans to demonstrate metalworking at a Boy Scout function needed to come to borrow my anvil, which is about 1/3 the weight of his and is thus MUCH more portable. Before he arrived, I cleaned up the anvil and got it ready to load.

While I was waiting for Bill, I partly refurbished the original headlight for the trike. It will be serviceable.

Speaking of headlights, I ordered a cheap HID conversion for an H4 headlight. I need to find a suitable reflector that will fit this trike. In doing the headlight refurb above, I neglected to measure the sealed beam, but if it is a standard 7", securing a suitable reflector will be easy.

I also did the little mod needed for the fuel rail. Basically, I had to shorten a spacer and cut a bit off the side of a fender washer so the parts would fit and now the washer retains the fuel rail fitting, which is now pointed in a useful direction.

As I was finishing that project up and monitoring the fuel tank etching, Bill arrived. We visited and I showed off the trikes and bikes that he hadn't seen. We loaded up the anvil and stand and he headed off to procure more demo equipment.

After Bill left, I dug out the handlebars to determine how best to put on a bracket for the speedometer. I had forgotten that the handlebar is slightly bent. I spent more time trying to figure out how best to straighten it. I think I will need to borrow a rosebud to heat a large enough area of one bar to impart a slight twist to the metal, followed by another heating elsewhere for a slight bend, or straightening a slight bend, depending on your point of view. I will need to put the bars on the trike to really determine where to put the speedo bracket. I hope to do that tomorrow so I can get the bracket done and get the bars out for powder coating. I'd rather chrome them, and I may chrome them in the future, but for now, powder coating in much more cost effective for me.

Once the Metal Ready was out of the tank and it was rinsed and had the fan on it, I gathered up relays, sockets and connectors with the intent to go inside and start making the local relay interconnections that will be needed for the chassis wiring. After having a few chores to do, I decided to sit down and do this update instead of tearing into the relay wiring.
Sluggy
Helpful Squirter

Tank Liner and Exhaust

Post by Sluggy »

The tank liner stuff went well. It is silvery with what I presume are aluminum particles. Now begins the waiting as it cures for 4 days.

I got the exhaust back from the peen blaster. As expected, it has given the surface a little texture. The sparkplug left in as a thread protector appears untouched. Bizarre.

The muffler was not run through the machine; the operator was concerned that it might not survive the ordeal. I picked up a can of paint stripper and it has worked really well. I need to do some touch up removal and clean the residue off and it will be ready to paint.
Sluggy
Helpful Squirter

What Fits and What Doesn't

Post by Sluggy »

Header and bumper in the former, muffler in the latter...

No good deed goes unpunished. While waiting for my baja bumper to arrive, I insisted on staying busy and moving the project forward. I welded in a bung for the O2 sensor and handed the header off to a buddy to run through his shot peen machine. The muffler did not go through the machine, so on Friday I sprayed it with chemical paint stripper, which worked quite well. On Saturday, it was wet and yucky out, but I still managed to get a couple of things done on the trike, such as mocking up the bumper to see how it would fit and temporarily bolting on the header to see how it would clear.

Well, the header clears.

The O2 sensor and the muffler don't.

From the pic, you can see that the spark plug hits the bumper. The O2 sensor is even longer and has wiring attached, so it definitely won't clear. Moving the bumper downward might clear the sensor, but would not look right and probably wouldn't work with the bumper's top mount. Conequently, the sensor needs to move.

While I hate to weld in (or probably braze in this time) another bung and plug the first one, it won't be very difficult. Another option, however, might be to heat the metal around the bung and lever upward on the plug, making it more parallel to the ground, rather than pointing slightly downward. This may clear the bumper and my planned receiver hitch.

As for the muffler, I don't really like a stinger that much, largely because you have to remember to cover it in the rain to keep water from being funnelled directly into the engine, but they look and sound pretty good and it will fit and clear the bumper. Perhaps in the future, I can get a muffler shop to bend up a pipe for me, maybe something like this.

The fuel tank is curing well. Only two or three more days to go....
Sluggy
Helpful Squirter

Still here

Post by Sluggy »

I've been busy with helping my mother-in-law move, so there hasn't been any active work on the engine, but I do have a note that my trigger wheel will be shipped, hopefully as early as tomorrow!
Sluggy
Helpful Squirter

Header Rework, Stinger, Bits and Pieces

Post by Sluggy »

Rather than completely duplicate the posting, I will simply refer you to this blog entry for the details of reworking the header.

In the intervening 5 days since that work was done, I've had little chance to work on anything before tonight.

On the engine/exhaust, I bolted on the header and carefully but temporarily placed the bumper to check for clearances, such as the O2 sensor. It clears nicely! If you are interested, you can refer to today's blog post for more details about the bumper and other non-engine things.

I got the chrome stinger and baffle on the way home from work. It seems almost silly to pay $40 for what is essentially a slightly flared pipe with a flange, but I couldn't make one anywhere as quickly as I picked one up. It is the swivel type and bolted on nicely, though I didn't cinch it down permanently. I will need to remove it to drill the stinger and baffle for a retaining bolt. Sadly, this counts as the best picture I took of it. I will take a better one in the daylight and replace it.

I needed to see how the body cleared the bumper (it does) and while the body was down out of the rafters, I also verified that the throttle body and air filters will clear the body. Looks like it was designed around it!

In other stuff, I put on the intake boot clamps and the heat riser tubes.

I'd hoped to work on the fuel tank tonight, but ran out of time. The liner is well cured by now...
Sluggy
Helpful Squirter

Trigger wheel ships!

Post by Sluggy »

Interesting to get the update at 11:33PM, but I'm still happy about it!
Sluggy
Helpful Squirter

It's here!

Post by Sluggy »

The trigger wheel arrived yesterday!

I have scheduled this Friday off, the intent being to have a full relatively uninterrupted engine work day...
Sluggy
Helpful Squirter

Trigger Wheel and EDIS Sensor

Post by Sluggy »

It was trivial putting in on, but it sure looks good.

After a couple of trials by cutting, marking and folding, I arrived at this pattern for the bracket to hold the trigger wheel sensor. I marked it out on a piece of 16ga mild steel and cut it out with my benchtop bandsaw. I will attempt to never use anything else for cutting out this kind of stuff. It was fast and easy!

I proceeded to bend it into shape. As is often the case, the first bend was the easiest. The next bend pretty easy, too. In my original plan, this bend would be 90 degrees, then the end would be cut to about 3/16" to serve to stiffen the bracket in this dimension. Once the bend was made, however, I could not find a good way to make the third bend to my spec. I decided to fold the second bend flat, which will still stiffen the piece. Then the third bend was easy.

I cut a slot in the side brace and drilled the two top holes. It took a bit of grinding and tweaking to make it fit properly, as I expected since the pattern was made from very thin stock, compared to the final material. I am pretty happy with the final bracket. A shot of Krylon X-Metals converter and purple paint and it's done. I would have painted the distributor plug, but I can't seem to find it tonight. Story of my life... :)

I also worked on the front wheel.
R100RT
Helpful Squirter

Re: 70-something Stires Trike

Post by R100RT »

Very nice work, and project coverage.
Will your front wheel (I assume that's the one you're showing?) have disc brakes on it? Just mentioning, as I did a pretty diligent cleaning/ painting operation on my rims, but the brake dust is so corrosive, that I'm considering stripping everying, and going with poweder coating.
Cheers, Lorne
Sluggy
Helpful Squirter

Re: 70-something Stires Trike

Post by Sluggy »

R100RT wrote:Very nice work, and project coverage.
Thanks! Having seen your own project documentation, I consider that high praise. :) I have browsed a LOT of these stories. I try to emulate the ones I have learned the most from, thus I tend to explain as much as I can, even when I screw up. It may help someone else. Heck, I might need to refer back to it to see what the heck I was thinking when I did *that*...

Plus, I like to write almost as much as I like to talk.
R100RT wrote: Will your front wheel (I assume that's the one you're showing?) have disc brakes on it?
The front wheel is from a Honda Passport. I will be using the stock drum brakes. On a VW trike, especially one with a small front wheel, the front brake is little more than a handy way to keep the trike from rolling around at a red light. Between the light weight on the front and the relatively small bit of contact patch with the pavement, the front brake does not contribute significantly to the overall braking performance. It is easily overwhelmed by the relative bulk of the rest of the vehicle.

The old wheel has a really badly rusted section on the rim, so I wanted to replace the wheel for safety reasons. Since the "new" wheel has a functional brake, I have decided to use it. Besides, there is some question as to whether or not a trike with no front brake is actually legal in Texas. There are plenty of them out there, but there is conflicting information about it in the Texas Transportation Code. One bit says that rear brakes are all that is needed if they meet braking performance standards, which are fairly clearly defined. However, another bit says that brakes are required on all wheels of motorcycles, and since trikes in Texas are registered as motorcycles, many inspectors require brakes on all wheels.
R100RT wrote:...I'm considering stripping everying, and going with powder coating.
I personally like the look and feel of powder coating. I am very lucky that a friend works in a facility that powder coats some of their own products. So long as the color limitations (black, gray or baby poop brown) is not a problem and I'm willing to wait an undetermined amount of time for them to get around to it, I can generally get almost anything powder coated in exchange for beer. Since black is the only real choice with that, I decided that paint would be better for the wheel. Hopefully, I wont destroy the finish lacing the wheel.