1967 Beetle - 2276 Turbo

Mario
MegaSquirt Newbie

1967 Beetle - 2276 Turbo

Post by Mario »

Hey all,

I have had this car for about 10 years, I started my MS journey years ago with one of the first group buys. It was for a v2.2 board with an MS1 chip. After a friend and I built up our boards it took a few years before I was actually ready to put it in a car. I started with a bone stock 1600 dp motor and sourced all the after market parts I would need to make it all work in my beetle. Luckily I was able to start with some factory fuel injection parts to make the conversion a little easier on me. I started with fuel only. I spent alot of time learning how FI worked and operated. Later I added a wideband 02 sensor to help with tuning. Not long after I installed the wideband I was ready to go with ignition control. I made the necessary mods to control an EDIS module and I was off to learn about that also.

During this time I was planning for a bigger motor and had been collecting parts to go bigger and better.

Which brings us to now, about 4 years later. The car changes on a by weekly basis it seems. I am always experimenting with different setups in the ultimate goal of power and efficiency. I have used thee V2.2, and 3 boards along with MS1standard/extra MS2extra and now I am using the MS3 on a V3 board complete with the expander board. I am still running an EDIS module but this winter after my drag racing season is over I have (4) Ls2 coils to install. At that point I will use launch control and 3 step to help with launches at the track.

My best times to date (8.29.2010) are

ET 1/4 - 11.537
MPH - 116.41
ET 1/8 - 7.136
MPH - 94.21

236Hp 245lb/ft on a slipping clutch

Currently my MS is controlling:
Oil cooler fan, Intercooler pump, Knock retard, Menthol injection and boost control.

Short term plans:
Launch control
Sequential fuel and spark

A few videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJKwz487HE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R008kgr716E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcT-cJ_e-YM

Thanks for listening
chips60bug
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1967 Beetle - 2276 Turbo

Post by chips60bug »

How are you gonna get your cam signal?
R100RT
Helpful Squirter

Post by R100RT »

Mario, have you measured turbo drive pressure against boost pressure at given speeds? I'm looking to discuss this with others as it is offered as a measure of design acceptability amongst turbo engineers. I've measured relatively equal drive to boost on my project.
Lorne.
Mario
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Mario »

chips60bug wrote:How are you gonna get your cam signal?
Probably just use a hall sensor dizzy with the extra teeth lopped off.
R100RT wrote:Mario, have you measured turbo drive pressure against boost pressure at given speeds? I'm looking to discuss this with others as it is offered as a measure of design acceptability amongst turbo engineers. I've measured relatively equal drive to boost on my project.
Lorne.
Yes I have a dash gauge for back pressure. Under 14lbs it is about 1:1 boost to back pressure. I haven't checked above that as that is what I am usually boosting to.
R100RT
Helpful Squirter

Post by R100RT »

Great, thanks for the feedback.
Lorne
Mario
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Mario »

A few updates,

I have all the new wiring done. The sequential fuel and spark makes my air cooled motor run cooler and smoother. No new dyno time yet to dial in all my new digs but it's a handfull.

Dash layout video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OprHsZ5m ... r_embedded

Launch control in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqUNPjA3 ... r_embedded

Thanks for looking :)
jharrington
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by jharrington »

Wow that is one heck of a ride I really like the turbo setup, and you have a very clean installation with the wiring, good work.
Mario
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Mario »

Thanks! It is always a work in progress. I have recently put in a roll cage to try for 10.90's in the quarter! 20psi here I come :mrgreen:
jharrington
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by jharrington »

I am not an expert on VW's but I have always heard that at a certain speed the shape of the body starts to act like a wing and above that speed they become unstable, you may need some kind of spoiler to keep it on the ground.