Bruce's 84 VW Jetta GLi 1.8l 8v

lightningrider
MegaSquirt Newbie

Bruce's 84 VW Jetta GLi 1.8l 8v

Post by lightningrider »

Name: Bruce
Vehicle: 1984 Volkswagen Jetta GLi
Engine: 109 cid (1800), SOHC 4 cyl , normally aspirated, dual downpipe and manifold, 2” mandrel exhaust, 3” intake with K&N filter, G60 cam cover and intake manifold, many “warming up” odds and ends.
Injection: Port, 19 lbs, factory injector seats for late model Digifant rail and injectors, relocated fuel filter and stock 3.5 bar f.p.r.,
Description: It is almost amazing the difference between port electronic fuel injection and Bosch CIS injection! It is like the throttle is connected directly to your foot!
With just minor on the fly tuning by my buddy Ken (84 Jetta Gli-MS-T) using his base map and VEX files, we have a real runner here!! I cant wait to put some miles on her and “tweak” the bins some more!! Accel enrichment, warm up, all pretty darn close for a first shot. Dang I like his stuff more and more each day!! Can’t wait to Squirt my Buell in a year or so, just need a smaller version of MS now!
Last edited by lightningrider on Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If speed kills, do brakes give life?"
84 VW Jetta GLi, squirted
2004 Buell XB12s, future squirted ride
lightningrider
MegaSquirt Newbie

9-5-05

Post by lightningrider »

Well, the odyssey continues!

1 must have hint to tuning: When you start tuning MS with a narrow band, ok, hunky dory, whatever. Get it tuned pretty good, using MTweak and huge datalogs, GREAT!

Switch over to a Wide band O2 controller of any kind, DONT expect it to run real well!! Its a whole new world!! Run all new datalogs, chew them up in MT, and watch the bins go all over the place!! IT IS WILD!!

And talk about running better, getting better mileage, better response, all around way better tuning!! It is a night and day difference!! At the same time, make a huge change to the exhaust, to be even better flowing, and huge changes again!!

She is still a little cold blooded in the morning, for about the first 30 seconds or so. We are slowly working that out though, and now at least starts on the first crank!!

I have run over 10 hours of datalogs through MT on the wide band, over 500,000 crossover points, and the car really runs great!! Need to start tuning for mileage in what I have found to be my "cruise box" area of the map.

If you have a will, and a little patience, this is all easy as pie!!

God dang, I love MS sometimes!!
"If speed kills, do brakes give life?"
84 VW Jetta GLi, squirted
2004 Buell XB12s, future squirted ride