Jedrik, 1986 Toyota/MR2

Toyota, Lexus.
Jedrik
MegaSquirt Newbie

Jedrik, 1986 Toyota/MR2

Post by Jedrik »

Name: Scott Riddell
Vehicle: 1986/Toyota/MR2
Engine: 1.6L 4age, stock internals, I4, tuned exhaust, turbo, intercooler, EDIS.
Injection: Port Injection, 44 lb/h, stock manifold
Description: The setup is designed to [some day] make high boost. Until I replace the 20 year old engine with a GZE block and fresh valves, the wastegate is set to 6 psi. Still super fun!
Website: http://home.earthlink.net/~s.riddell/mr2designfab.htm

I had a lot of fun learning how to fabricate all this strange stuff. Intercoolers, exhaust, silicone intake tubing. (See web link) Learning much about engine design and actually putting that thermodynamics textbook to work. Expanding my real world electronics experience was a challenge at times but ultimately rewarding. The openness of the MegaSquirt community really helps you understand what is going on. Just persevere, use the forum search and ask rational questions. Read and reread EVERYTHING!
Building the MegaSquirt controller was the easiest part.
Understanding the tuning software is a little trickier. Many things don’t make sense until you hit the road.
150 miles of data collection so far. Not so much as a loose bolt… ok, one loose bolt.
I think the only scary moment… cruising along (under the speed limit) taking data with the engine screaming at 6000 rpm while modulating MAP to get crossover points… and passing a police car. Up shift! Up shift! Look innocent! He must not have heard me inside that Crown Victoria with the cell phone stuck to one ear. ;-)

A few tuning details that are fresh in my mind:
Save VE tables and MSQ’s often. It’s a bummer reconstructing when settings get screwed.
One time I had things go supper rich all the sudden. I started adjusting the VE table like crazy but when I went to burn table received a “Voltage too low” warning. MS was at ~4.5 Volts (car at 13.5.) Wiggling the MS connector fixed the problem. I tightened the screws and have had no problems since.
The most recent problem was with MegaTune. On starting up I kept receiving an error along the lines of “Bad controller code, 021s expected, 0x53 received.” I assumed the problem was in the laptop and spent 15 min. verifying settings. Nothing. Not even a basic communication test worked… yep the stereo jack that runs data to the MS unit had popped out one click.
Do initial tuning without accel or decel enrichment (I have TPS Dot Threshold = 25). With the 4age anyway, it’s quite drivable without and caused more trouble and confusion initially than anything else. You may have to catch the engine on throttle cut though. The momentary rich condition seems to make idle drop considerably.
Now that my VE map is getting close I am starting to add decel only (accell bins set to zero) trying to eliminate the rich spikes in the data log and get the idle fluctuations under control. Next I plan to set the lowest accel bin only and tune that. Then move to the next. Etc. I will update how it goes.

Still to do (major):
Better intercooler ducting and intake air. (Always!)
Hook the engine bay fan to MS.
Dyno?
Jedrik
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Jedrik »

Some recent maps.
Curently leaning out mid cruse and advancing timing for better milage.
6psi max boost tuned.
Note: TVIS turns off at 4450. Thus the close bins there. Having it on seems to smooth idle and spool turbo faster.

Also, idle VE rpm is too high for normal code. See the idle VE table.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.