Erik Berg, 1985 Toyota Celica Supra

Toyota, Lexus.

Erik Berg, 1985 Toyota Celica Supra

Post by Guest »

Name: Erik Berg

Vehicle: Toyota Celica Supra 1985 Daily Driver

Engine: 5M-E 2.8l SOHC straight six, MPI

Injection: MegaSquirt: 2.x HW, V2.982 SW, Dave cap, 1.6k ohm bias for original Toyota watertemp sensor.

Description: This is my second MegaSquirt install. Squirt plugged into existing harness. TPS changed, original ballast resistors for injectors used. Flapper type AFM removed.Even with the old injection system the mildly modded SOHC engine in my supra managed to surprise the DOHC ones, now even more so. :) :)

I'm expecting much better mileage, the old system did not have O2 closed loop feedback & always ran very rich. I have made 2x1000km daily trips with the MS, works great! :) 4000km+ total mileage with the MS.

<u>Problems:</u>
Have had problems with the air temp sensor heatsoaking. Finally relocated it to the original position right behind the airfilter.

Had some major misfiring at WOT after standing still for a while (heatsoak), solved it with installing a new coil that is capable of
igniting the slightly leaner mixture. :) (~0.7V O2) Did not have this problem with the original analog ECU because it always kept the mixtures ridiculously rich. (O2 ~0.9V :))

I still have problems with my TPS. I believe it's broken, because it gives erratic "jumpy" readings even when the engine is off, so it's not noise related.

I'd like to change my air temp thermistor to a faster reacting one, to get rid of heatsoaking..