MegaSquirt Newbie

1979 924 with Whipple Charger

Post by Big Creek »

Name: Todd Fanton (a.k.a. Big Creek)
Vehicle: 1979 Porsche 924
Engine: 2.0L I4 with 1.6L Whipple Charger 10:1 compression
Injection: MS-I V2.2 Port Injected, Mega Jolt Lite Jr EDIS
Description:

I recieved this vehical basically for free from a friend. We pulled it home, from the barn it was in (along with the mice living in it!), and I immediatly began plans to install a V8 until realizing the trans is actually mounted in the back. It could still be done but for more expense than I wanted so I decided to go ahead and put the stock engine back together. Most of it was lieing in the back seat. In the process of trying to get the original mechanical CIS injection system working I stumbled onto MegaSquirt! I always wanted to try a programable injection system so I jumped onto the 2nd group buy back in 2002. I have been up and running for quite awhile but because I am always tinkering with stuff it is never for very long stretches at a time.

A while back I procurred a 1.6L Whipple Charger from a trash can! It was in pieces with several missing. The owner said it was making horrible noise on the 350 Chevy Vortec it was on and the rotors had obviously seized at some point but the case was untouched. Long story short, I polished everything up, machined some missing parts, put it back together and then with some difficulty mounted it up to the 924. Driving it at a measily 1:1 ratio I am producing 4lbs of boost. This is actually better than it sounds. I have a lot of room for overdrive but I need to get the rest of the motor and drivetrain up to par. Because I upped the compression from 8.5:1 to 10:1 I need to be a little easy on the boost.

Next improvement will be a 20% overdrive for a hopeful 6-8lbs of boost along with mounting an intercooler. I will document these as I go along. So far the performance improvement from the measly 4lbs boost is nothing short of amazing! Very fun!!

Like others here I want to give a sincere thanks to ALL who have helped develop this entire happening! I am stll dumbfounded by the amount of information that is shared so freely here.

Todd

1979 Porsche 924, 2.0L 4cyl, 1.6L Whipple SuperCharger, MS-I V2.2, MJLJ, MSnS 029q2
Big Creek
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Big Creek »

I am now intercooled and boost is a solid 10lbs. Runs very well and I register almost no rise in intake temps with this setup. I saw a rise of 35-45° running 4lbs boost un-intercooled. I also had to switch to bigger 44lb injectors. Needs more tuning but the improvement in performance is obvious!!

Todd
1979 Porsche 924, 2.0L 4cyl, 1.6L Whipple SuperCharger, MS-I V2.2, MJLJ, MSnS 029q2
ihatesissycars
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by ihatesissycars »

Hi there! Nice setup!

I have a 944 2.5 n/s and a 924 2.0 n/a too.

I'm at present building a charger setup for the 44 with an sn93 paxton blower. I want to intercool mine but thanks to Porsche spot welding the badge panel on I can't get the 951 intercooler I have in there.

Can I ask what cooler it is you're using on you 24?