1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - Alex Espinoza

ae1969

1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - Alex Espinoza

Post by ae1969 »

Name: Alex Espinoza
Vehicle: 1986/ Porsche / 944
Engine: 2.5 L, I4 running a Vitesse Stage 2 Turbo
Injection: Megasquirt V3. with EDIS. 55 lb injectors, lindsey racing fuel rail, lindsey racing manifold
Description: The project began in the fall of 2005. My previous 951 had a fuel leak and caught fire. I had a 944 NA that became the recipient of a number of upgrades from the 944 turbo.
The engine is a stock 2.5 L turbo engine with a Vitesse Stage 2 turbo. I have upgraded the stock fuel rail and intake manifold. The car also uses a KEP pressure plate, fidanza flywheel, and cup disc. The car also has a turbo LSD tranny with hardened gears.
The oirginal stock ignition system relied on two sensors that derive there signals from the ring gear and reference pin on the flywheel. The current MS versions do not support the stock ignition triggers so I opted to configure an EDIS system to handle the ignition timing.
I ended up creating a custom harness that plugs straight into the engine bay plug.
I was amazed that it only took a couple of tries to have her fired up and idling like a kitten! The first try caused a massive backfire! (Thats what happens when you reverse the coil setup). The second try led to a start. It was amazing. Idling at 600-700 rpm with and AFR of ~13:1. I was impressed. The idle has been smoothed out and the megasquirt has met all expectations so far.
The hope is that a wheel decoder will be available at one point to allow for the stock sensors to be used but for now we can safely say the MS is a massive improvement over the stock motronic.

BIG thanks to the creators of MS and all the contributors on this site for the incredible amount of detailed responses and Justin Lewicke who has helped tremendously in making this project come alive.
ae1969

Post by ae1969 »

Well as of today.

The car is running like a dream.

Only took 4 tanks of gas.........and a ton of 4th gear pulls.

We have full boost coming on at ~3K RPM and it pulls hard to redline.

Here is a sample of one of my logs.

NExt on the list is experimenting with knock control and xtau.
mgalbro
MegaSquirt Newbie

944 Ignition

Post by mgalbro »

Hi Alex, I'm looking into the MegaSquirt for my N/A 944. Can you elaborate on the EDIS system that you use for the ignition timing? Thanks.