1987 Porsche 944 N/A

RobH
MegaSquirt Newbie

1987 Porsche 944 N/A

Post by RobH »

Vehicle: 1987 Porsche 944
Engine: 2.5 L Normally Aspirated, stock except hollowed cat
Injection: MS1 V3 with stock injectors
Description: I got the car running last week on MS1 basic code, runs GREAT. It turned over on the first crank. The engine feels much more responsive, crisp and controlled. Currently in the process of switching over to MSnS-extra.
My system is bare-bones. I am using the Innovate LC-1 WB installed in factory bung on the crossover, a GM IAT sensor and everything else is stock. I tapped into DME wiring for (-)Coil, CLT, injectors (p14 and p15 of DME) and throttle switch (p2 of DME 0V only at closed throttle, not really necessary).

I think that's it. I hooked everything except for the injectors at first to verify that all sensors worked then wired the injectors in.

I'll post my next update once I get MSnS-extra working.

Phase 1: MS1 fuel only DONE
Phase 2: MSnS-e fuel only
Phase 3: MSnS-e fuel and spark >>haven't decided how yet
Phase 4: .... Thunderbird supercharger?!?
RobH
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1987 Porsche 944 N/A

Post by RobH »

Update:
I got MSnE-e running- had some problems with noise from my coil(-) for RPM. 2 12V Zener diodes in series solved the problem (22V Zener is suggested but I didn't have any on-hand) by filtering out any noise on the input.

I am preparing for Spark and have most of the wiring done and all components needed except the VR sensor itself. Here is what I used:
- COP's from a VW. Not suggested since they don't "fit" right and look goofy. I had them on-hand and given their success with other MSnS setups, I decided I'd deal with the eye sore. I suggest Ford EDIS.
- 36_1 Trigger wheel from DIYautotune, needs to be welded or bolted to the vacant PS pulley. There's been talk about using the factory R/S sensors.. I don't think it's ready yet.
- I have decided to create a jumper harness w/ an 8pin interface connector. I will be adding IAT, VR sensor and Coils into this connector. Makes for an easy implementation from the stock engine harness to the new components for MS. Once finished I could provide harness drawing with all pinouts converting from the DME to MS if you guys would want it.

I have also changed out to High-Impedance injectors from an LS-1- they're 26#/hr @ 3 psi, should get the job done and now I don't have to worry about going over 100% DC with the PWM used for the stock injectors and gives me some room for more power, I'd suggest bigger injectors to anyone looking to run a turbo or supercharger.
tinoi30
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by tinoi30 »

Wow, awesome, I have a 1988 Porsche 944 n/a 2.5 and I was dying to find out if MS would work. I have the MS1 but i thought it would not work because of the ignition. At anyrate, I would love to know how your car ran with the MS1? Did it run faster and give you better gas mileage, did it over heat, did it make the wheels spin out more, and did you take off that horible mass air flow
sensor that it came with?

Please if you got it tuned w the MS1 could i have the settings you used to program mine.

Thanks in advance,

Tino
Tino Bundoc
RobH
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by RobH »

Hey Tino,

I haven't updated my success story yet because I haven't gotten my car running quite yet. Since my last reply I decided (at last minute) to up-convert to MS2 and do the Microsquirt conversion (required minor rework of daughtercard) and still used the VW COP's w/ stock Speed and Ref sensors instead of the 36_1 trigger wheel. I'd say that so far it is not worth it- should have stayed with the the 36_1 wheel and MS1 because this has been a world of headaches.

As mentioned earlier, I do not have my car running spark yet, got it to turn over but dies after a few seconds. My car ran fuel only w/ MS1 for about 3000 miles quite reliably. I must say the car ran smooth and felt "newer", better throttle response. I didn't notice any actual power increases, if there was any increase I'm sure it was small. If you're considering running MS1, seems like that would be an okay option with a 36_1 trigger wheel attached to the power steering pulley or something. If you want to go MS2 w/ factory sensors check out the Microsquirt sight, a couple of guys are getting really close to getting their 944's running reliably on Microsquirt.

I'd suggest first just taking of fuel for a while and getting that down first.
tinoi30
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by tinoi30 »

Thanks Rob for responding. I was thinking of just running MS1, but i was hoping you could give me your MS1 fuel parameters so I could program my MS1 the same as you did. As far as the ignition is concerned, I am planning to keep it stock until I could really learn to program the MS1 fuel parameters by myself.

Later on I will plan to use the Micro as you sugested. Again, thanks for responding.

Tino
Tino Bundoc
dean924s
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by dean924s »

Did you ever get this sorted?

Respectfully

Dean
RobH
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by RobH »

Hi Dean,

Not sure if your question was aimed to me or to Tino but I'll answer anyway, I'm way overdue for an update.

My buddy was in the market for a megasquirt so I sold him my modified v3 board w/ MS2 and bought a Microsquirt because the Microsquirt has 2 VR inputs and I wanted to start over with a clean slate. 1 week after buying the uS I had the car running. I've put 5,xxx miles on the car since then (about a year ago) and it's running great, a few issues but definitely driveable. I'm using the stock crank speed and crank position sensors, I have my spark outputs set to logic level because I'm driving VW COP's. the COPs were not necessary but it seemed like fun and to date they've been working out quite well.

I drew up a schematic of my configuration but it's too big to upload. It has all the details about what I did for driving the stock tachometer, filtering the power source, filtering the spark outputs, etc... maybe I'll try to shrink it down so I can upload it on this post.
FoundSoul
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by FoundSoul »

Jerry from DIY here-- one other option you guys with 87-88 Porsche 944's have now is the DIYPNP. We just had one here recently and built out a base map and full pinout chart for the 944. Here's a link: http://diyautotune.com/diypnp/apps/b55/ ... yl-mt.html
dean924s
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by dean924s »

Hi Rob,

Yes I was referring to you. What I am trying to figure out is what type of ignition trigger setup does your car have. Is it the more modern 60 tooth set up that the later 944'shave or is it the early style 130 pin set up?

I guess the other question (to try to figure it out) is how many pins does your DME have 55 pins or is it the older 36 pin unit? My 87 924s with the 2.5l NA motor has the 36 pin DME and uses the 130 tooth wheel (the flywheel). Form what I understand the MS units can not Handel that tooth count when the RPMs start to go up. SOme have got it up to between 3-4K RPM but then it just cannot keep up. What I am really interested is if your Microsquirt was able to make this work with the older 130 tooth / 36 pin DME. My 924s is actually running an EDIS based ignition system fired from the cam just so i could get around this problem. BUT it would be fantastic if you some how got this figured out. I am sure that Matt and Jerry and company at DIY would also be interested if you got this working.

However at the moment I have what appears to be a dead MS2 V3.0 on my hands (probably from something I did) that I need to fix or get fixed if I cannot get to the bottom of it)

I am quite excited to see that you got this up and running!!!! I would be interested in your fuel maps and your fuel setup if you are willing to share. What injectors are you running? Stock? (wondering about the impedance).

Respectfully

Dean
RobH
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by RobH »

Hi Dean,

Sorry for the late reply, I rarely sign on to msefi.com any more... to attempt to answer some of your questions- (its been a while since I've head my head in this stuff.. maybe 6-9 months)

Yes, I do have 130 tooth wheel and I'm fairly certain I have the 36 pin connector, memories of me rewiring the circuits to the Microsquirt are real foggy. It runs quite well now. I made a few changes to my microsquirt, stuff that has been documented previously. There are a few other guys I've talked to here on this site who also got their 130 tooth 944s running with microsquirt (using microsuirt to control spark outputs directly). I cant recall their names at the moment. If you search the microsquirt forum for '944' you'll probably get some hits.

My .msq- I'd be glad to send it to you. I'm currently at work. As long as I can remember to do so, when I get home I'll send over my msq. Also, I got some high-impedence injectors from a Chevy V-8 with a similar flow rate(~22lb-hr, Can't remember...). I did this so I wouldn't have to bother with adding resistors to my injector outputs or messing with the flyback circuitry.

The only modifications I can see that would need to be made is adjustment of req_fuel since I'm using different injectors and changing some spark outputs and changing the jumper on the Microsquirt (the one that switches the spark output circuitry) since I'm using VW COPs (in hindsight I would have just used the stock coils, COPs are fun but for my setup there's no point).