Steve Hauer, 1977 BMW 320i

shauer
MegaSquirt Newbie

Steve Hauer, 1977 BMW 320i

Post by shauer »

Name: Steve Hauer
Vehicle: 1977 BMW 320i
Engine: 2.0 Liter I4, header, cam, 9.5:1 CR forged pistons.
Injection: ITB port injection using TWM 2900 series throttle bodies, 24Lb Delphi/Lucas injectors, Stepper IAC, EDIS
Description: Converting from dual Weber DCOE 40 carbs. Megasquirt specs are below in my sig.

This is a nearly fully restored BMW 320i (e21 chassis) with 76,000 original miles. I converted the stock kjet injection to dual sidedraft Webers last year but have not been completely happy with the carbs for daily driving.

My plans for this project are to first install the EDIS components and get EDIS working with my carbs. Once I have my MSII running in ignition only mode with EDIS I will removed the carbs and add the TWM throttle bodies and other EFI components.

Current status is that I just got my MSII assembled and tested about two weeks ago and I got EDIS up and running this last weekend. I figure I have another week or two of playing around with EDIS only and then I need to wait until about mid April for my throttle bodies to arrive.

The only issue experienced with EDIS was the usual problem of getting my tach to respond to the EDIS CTO pulse. Some minor changes to my tach input circuit fixed that.

The website listed above goes into detail about the portions of this project I have already completed and some of my plans for the yet to be installed EFI components.
- Steve

1977 BMW 320i
MS II V3 mainboard, v2.36 firmware, EDIS4
Megatune v2.25
shauer
MegaSquirt Newbie

It Runs!

Post by shauer »

Since my first post I spent a few weeks on the road running EDIS only while waiting for the throttle bodies to arrive. The throttles showed up about 2 weeks ago and I've been busy since.

I just fired up the engine under MS control yesterday. The engine started first try. It took me about 45 minutes to get the engine tuned enough to hold a hot idle and rev up to about 2500 RPM.

With only about an hour of tuning so far I can tell that AE is going to be the biggest problem with this setup. I've already switched over to blended TPSdot/MAPdot AE and can tell that I'm making progress. I figure I have at least another hour or two of just playing with the off idle AE before I dare take the car out on the road.

I need to pick up a couple of pieces for the air filter and mount the IAT sensor and I'm all set for my first set of test drives once I can blip the throttle without risking the engine stalling.

The website listed above has been updated with new pics.
- Steve

1977 BMW 320i
Megatune v2.25
shauer
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Steve Hauer, 1977 BMW 320i

Post by shauer »

I have created a web site for my car and all the projects I have done on it. There is an extensive Megasquirt section under the "projects" page detailing everything I have done over the past few years.

http://www.77e21.info
- Steve

1977 BMW 320i
Megatune v2.25