M52 POWER!
MegaSquirt Newbie

Chris, 1996 BMW 328is

Post by M52 POWER! »

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 1996 BMW 328is, 5 Speed Beast
Engine: 2.8 liter BMW M52 DOHC 24 Valve Vanos
Injection: Stock fuel rail, M50 Intake Manifold, 24# injectors, AFPR
Description: MegaSquirt 2 ECU running MS2/E code for ignition, etc. Speed density, crank trigger with hall.

Special thanks to Jon K for helping out so much to get this working!

Everything works 100% except for VANOS which will be my next challenge. Going to use the expansion board's nitrous control function for table switching/vanos solenoid control.

-Chris Hakimian :D

mooseheadm5
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Congrats! The VANOS switching should be easy. Not sure but you may not even need an expansion board to do it. You running individual coil packs or waste spark?

-Paul
BMW Guru
Not MSed (yet)
E30 327i, E28 M5, E28 535is, 1997 325ti
M52 POWER!
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by M52 POWER! »

The car already had individual coils but I am running wasted spark for now.

Do you have any info on switching vanos without the expansion board, it sure would be nice. The expansion board doesn't fit in the MS case so I already know I'll need a new case and I really like how everything fits perfect now!
mooseheadm5
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Can't say that I know that much about MS2. I am building the MS1 with MSnS and I believe that you can use the nitrous out to do the VANOS with a little code manipulation. I know that somewhere here there is someone with a working VANOS setup, so do a search and see what you find.
-Paul
BMW Guru
Not MSed (yet)
M52 POWER!
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by M52 POWER! »

I am proud to annouce today I have accomplished everything I have wanted with my megasquirt 2 standalone engine management system on a OBD2 1996 BMW 328is.
  • I have successfully tuned ignition advance/retard maps, fuel injector VE tables.
  • Cold start/warmup enrichment is spot on.
  • I've restored (actually made better) ease of drivability of the car compared to stock SIEMENS.
  • I've made considerable gains in HP/TQ across the entire rev range.
  • Throttle response is hugely improved, I can't imagine with a LTW flywheel!
  • Vanos system is 100% fully functional and customizable!
If anybody is looking for info, base maps etc please let me know. I'd like to help out as much as possible, especially in such a "unexplored" scene on these OBD2 motors.

This is all with running MS2/Extra beta 14 software on the MS2 ecu.
Special thanks to Jon (urinemachine)

-Chris
mooseheadm5
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Ooo, now you have me wanting to trade in that Conforti chip on my 325ti for MS! Send me what info you have, and I'll be happy to provide you with all the useless BMW knowledge you will need. Email is this user name at yahoo.
Again, congrats! I just finished the main build for my MS1 that I will probably put on my M5 (unless my 327i cries out for it first, we'll see.)
-Paul
BMW Guru
Not MSed (yet)
bmw4aaron
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by bmw4aaron »

mooseheadm5 wrote:Ooo, now you have me wanting to trade in that Conforti chip on my 325ti for MS! Send me what info you have, and I'll be happy to provide you with all the useless BMW knowledge you will need. Email is this user name at yahoo.
Again, congrats! I just finished the main build for my MS1 that I will probably put on my M5 (unless my 327i cries out for it first, we'll see.)
-Paul
Are you talking about the poor M5 that has been sitting on the side Elliot since before I moved here. Missing exhaust and all? Every time I drive by it I want to come up to the door and ask if I can buy it.
88 535is
M60B40 mit 6 speed
http://www.bmwe28v8.org

77 530i
86 524td

Tidewater & Blueridge Chapter BMWCCA Member
mooseheadm5
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Yes, but NOOO you can't buy it. It has been sitting since I got it because I bought it after some dumbass shop accidentally set fire to it. I had another M5 that was severely body damaged by the last several previous owners and had planned a body swap since the (local CCA member who shall remain nameless in case you know him) wanted to install the drivetrain in an E12. He gave up, I got the car, I bought a house, I needed all my spare cash for said house, project stalled. Now, I have my MS built, lots of spare parts from my other car, 2 jobs, one that pays the bills and one in a local shop where I have a lift, and am getting ready to go in it. I have a hand built 3 inch exhaust I built for my other M5. Drop by the Foreign Auto Center off Rose Hill Dr sometime with your 5 (Thurs or Fri only) I'd love to see it.
-Paul
BMW Guru
Not MSed (yet)
bmw4aaron
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by bmw4aaron »

mooseheadm5 wrote:Yes, but NOOO you can't buy it. It has been sitting since I got it because I bought it after some dumbass shop accidentally set fire to it. I had another M5 that was severely body damaged by the last several previous owners and had planned a body swap since the (local CCA member who shall remain nameless in case you know him) wanted to install the drivetrain in an E12. He gave up, I got the car, I bought a house, I needed all my spare cash for said house, project stalled. Now, I have my MS built, lots of spare parts from my other car, 2 jobs, one that pays the bills and one in a local shop where I have a lift, and am getting ready to go in it. I have a hand built 3 inch exhaust I built for my other M5. Drop by the Foreign Auto Center off Rose Hill Dr sometime with your 5 (Thurs or Fri only) I'd love to see it.
-Paul
Yeah I know "local CCA member who shall remain nameless in case you know him". He's about to be my brother in law. I also now own that e12 also. I'll drop by when I get the chance. Any Thurs or Friday?
88 535is
M60B40 mit 6 speed
http://www.bmwe28v8.org

77 530i
86 524td

Tidewater & Blueridge Chapter BMWCCA Member
autolabs
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by autolabs »

wow im glad i found this, ive been questioning if i can do this or not, can your bin file work with ms v3 boards? do you have a write up or did you document your install by chance :D anyways ill PM you hopefully your kind enough to share the file with me so i can get started

also how much of your stock wiring harness were you able to use?
confused and trying to learn