1979 BMW 320i M10 MS1 Extra

je320
MegaSquirt Newbie

1979 BMW 320i M10 MS1 Extra

Post by je320 »

Just finished wiring my 79 bimmer (E21) with M10 2.0 using an 84 318i intake, 66mm TB from a Nissan maxima, 36lb high impedence injectors from a 3800 SC Buick engine (I know that's overkill at this time), made the wiring harness with 18gauge automotive grade wires, Threw in an in-tank high pressure pump from a 93 BMW 318is along with the PWM bosch 2 wire motor (which isn't really working right), and I'm Running EDIS4 for ignition. I made up a preliminary VE table from the online auto calculator. Hit the key, and it started right up! It was running a bit rough, and I realized I didn't have the vacuum line piped to the MS box yet. Added the line started it, and drove it!
It's definitely a little lean, as it wants to hesitate a bit upon accelaration, and doesn't really have a lot of power (I'm hoping to get the power I had running bike carbs, it was B.A. but was only getting 15-16mpg's). I'll run a few datalogs, and try re-mapping the VE tables to fix my week spots, but the car is actually drivable. I took my time, with everything. This has taken over 6 months building the MS box, and wiring the car. I will turbo this beast in the future, but that's just a bolt on, and re-tune now.... My plan is to get the car running great, and get familiar with the tuning aspects before adding power. Any tips on tuning, before I start undertaking the task? And does anyone know how to set-up the Bosch two-wire PWM from a 93 318is for warm up only? I just really need a proper duty cycle for open, and closed I think...

r1go
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1979 BMW 320i M10 MS1 Extra

Post by r1go »

Hi dude!
First of all congrats for your work!
Second, i just wanna know how did you the first setup for your megasquirt, did you used the mega tuner studio?
We both have the almost the same ride, i have an '79 e21 but six cyl 2.0.

At the same time im looking for some info about how to install a wide band for better fuel consumption.

Thanx in advance, greetings
je320
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1979 BMW 320i M10 MS1 Extra

Post by je320 »

I used whatever calculations the online calculator came up with to start with. I plotted a spark table based on a BMW 2002 "008" mechanical distributor. I used the mega log viewer to adjust/tune the ve tables. I ran an LC1 Innovate wideband O2 sensor for better tuning. I just started turbo installation today, and look forward to having that up and running in a few weeks.