Philip Lochner 1980 Jaguar XJS V12 5.3L (10:1 CR)

ronbros
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Philip Lochner 1980 Jaguar XJS V12 5.3L (10:1 CR)

Post by ronbros »

also used low impedence injectors, Bosch style 24lbs(249CC), electronic drivers 2 six driver units. Thx again ron
jagracer
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by jagracer »

Philip
I am trying to set up ms2 with just fuel
No idle control no ac this is going to be a road race car so
It will do most of its driving wide open
I thaw a termac 5 speed with a 3:73 rear end

So what will I need to make this happen
The car is a1985 XJS v12 with a modified fuel rail and a aromotive a750 fuel pump
I tried using the stock ecu and it just is not working out
I have no way of telling me what the ecu is doing
So from all the stuff I have read it looks like I would like to call you off line I am not not much of a person to
Do with writing on a forum
So can you help me with this project
Thanks
Chuck
Philip Lochner
Helpful Squirter

Post by Philip Lochner »

I'll send you a private mail Chuck.
Kind regards
Philip
My MS projects: viewtopic.php?t=20086
jagracer
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by jagracer »

I read on the post of many ways for the 36-1 trigger pulley
So how did you do yours if I don't have to reinvent it would save me some time
I also Seen on page 14 shows that there is two inputs for bank 1 and two for bank 2 so do I wire it as three and three per side?
thanks for all your help
Chuck
Philip Lochner
Helpful Squirter

Post by Philip Lochner »

jagracer wrote:I read on the post of many ways for the 36-1 trigger pulley
So how did you do yours if I don't have to reinvent it would save me some time
I also Seen on page 14 shows that there is two inputs for bank 1 and two for bank 2 so do I wire it as three and three per side?
thanks for all your help
Chuck
Please have a look at the attached pdf file to see what I did on my XJS. You will NOT need two sensors and you will NOT need the DESC module because you will be using the 6 ignition outputs on the MS-2 (possible because you will not be using full time baro sensor). Please note also that the missing tooth should NOT be at TDC but preferably 60degs before TDC. The exact position of the missing tooth can be fine tuned in software.

Here's what I did on my E-type : http://www.jag-lovers.org/include/iv3.p ... rwoQ%3D%3D

MS-2 has only two injector outputs that can support Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). You will therefore wire all 6 injectors on a bank to one MS-2 injector output, with the 6 on the other bank to the other MS-2 injector ouput. The OEM ECU had 4 injector outputs (possibly even 8, 4 to switch them on and another 4 to hold them on, but that is irrelevant to you)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards
Philip
nineno
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by nineno »

Philip - I am considering a Jaguar V12 project. I've got a lead on a reasonably nice 6.0L motor (complete) from a 1994, and a 4L80E transmission from a 93.

I've reviewed the information here, on your website, your YouTube videos, and on a couple other Jaguar-specific websites. Can I ask you a couple more questions about your DESC module? It seems like a very eloquent solution using readily available parts. Hope to catch up with you soon!
Thank you!
- Drew
Philip Lochner
Helpful Squirter

Post by Philip Lochner »

nineno wrote:Philip - I am considering a Jaguar V12 project. I've got a lead on a reasonably nice 6.0L motor (complete) from a 1994, and a 4L80E transmission from a 93.

I've reviewed the information here, on your website, your YouTube videos, and on a couple other Jaguar-specific websites. Can I ask you a couple more questions about your DESC module? It seems like a very eloquent solution using readily available parts. Hope to catch up with you soon!
Thank you!
- Drew
Hi Drew

Its been a loooooong time since I've supplied a DESC module to anyone, but I'm sure I can still help. DESC could be used with Megajolt for a relatively simple V12 (or V16....) ignition only solution. However....

Megasquirt 2 on a V3 motherboard can be built with 6 ignition outputs for a wasted spark solution. This implies that you will only need one VR sensor mounted to the trigger wheel and you will not need the two EDIS-6 modules but rather two 4-channel Bosch ignition modules. You can still use the EDIS coil packs or any other coil pack you prefer. This holds the benefit that you can - if you want to - also take control of fuelling as well using the two injector outputs (even with low impedance injectors - if your engine has them) BUT, you will NOT be able to implement full time barometric fuelling correction with MS2. The latter is VERY important if you will be driving the car in an environment where it will experience altitude variations of more than 300' (100m) either way.

You could also opt for Megasquirt3. With MS3 and the expansion board, you could have 12 high impedance injector outputs, 6 or 12 spark outputs and all the other inputs and outputs your may desire including full time barometric correction. MS3 will require additional "peak and hold" hardware if you will be using low impedance injectors, then this solution does become rather pricey.

BTW: I have implemented Megasquirt's GPIO to control the 4L60e transmission in my Jensen Interceptor and it does a sterling job. 4L80e is, from a control perspective, just about the same.
Kind regards
Philip