Dave White, Land Rover Defender - Corvette LS1 5.7L V8

DaveW
MegaSquirt Newbie

Dave White, Land Rover Defender - Corvette LS1 5.7L V8

Post by DaveW »

Name: Dave White
Vehicle: Land Rover Defender
Engine: 5.7 litre 410 HP Corvette LS1 V8
Injection: Port injection using stock manifold, injectors and temperature sensors.
Description: I am using MSnS-Extra on a V3 board to provide injection and ignition using the OEM coil near plug coils in a wasted spark configuration (these are logic level triggered). Using OEM crank and cam signals. A build progress thread is available here.
Last edited by DaveW on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
It Runs !!! 3.9 V8 MSnS Extra
viewtopic.php?t=5106
5.7 Corvette V8 MSnS Extra
viewtopic.php?t=20094
whittlebeast
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by whittlebeast »

I think this is the stock wheel. Do we cut that into a 24-1

AW
Sea-Doo 785 running MAF, V3 & Extra

www.v8efi.com Nearly self tuning Holley carburator replacement kit. Coming soon.
DaveW
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by DaveW »

With MSnS-E you can use a twin wheel setup that makes it possible to use the existing OEM cam and crank sensor outputs. With current code you can use the crank sensor output as it is and feed it direct into MS. MS triggers on the falling edge so that gives you an evenly spaced 24 tooth input as far as MS is concerned.

The cam sensor is where it gets slightly difficult and I am working on a conditioning circuit. The cam sensor goes high for one half of the cycle and low for the other, changing state exactly on TDC. Current MSnS-E code for the second input triggers on either the leading or trailing edge but not both. I am working on a simple circuit to provide a short 1ms pulse on each transition that can then be fed into MS. The MSnS-E developers are looking at changing the 2nd wheel trigger code to accommodate triggering on both edges - that will make an external conditioning circuit unnecessary.
viewtopic.php?t=5106
viewtopic.php?t=20094
jsmcortina
MegaSquirt Guru

Post by jsmcortina »

The code really isn't too hard, just that I haven't done it.

James
DaveW
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Land Rover Defender - Corvette LS! 5.7L V8

Post by DaveW »

Not updated this for ages... too busy driving and enjoying the engine, I've now been running the engine on the road and in competition for 9 months using the OEM signals direct into the CPU. including a one week long competition in Australia - currently kicking my heels waiting for the container to arrive back in the UK with my vehicle in it !

James implemented the cam trigger on both rising and falling edges enabling the use of the OEM signals without any external conditioning.

As the signals from both the crank and the cam sensor are good quality 5v square wave signals it's possible to connect the signals directly to the CPU. i put a 330 ohm resistor inline at the CPU to safeguard against external problems frying the CPU. initially there were problems with noise on the signal lines because, on my engine at least, the wiring for the cam/crank signals isn't screened so is vulnerable to cross talk from the injector signals running in the same loom. Putting a 0.1uF capacitor from the signal to earth resolved the noise problem after discussions with mobythevan who had found similar issues.

I've now set up two LS1 engines using this without any problems using a V3 board and MS1/Extra. I have also configured an old V2.2 ECU as a spare and this has run both engines as well. I'm running 29y4 on all of them at the moment.
viewtopic.php?t=5106
viewtopic.php?t=20094
DaveW
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Land Rover Defender - Corvette LS1 5.7L V8

Post by DaveW »

viewtopic.php?t=5106
viewtopic.php?t=20094
DaveW
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Dave White, Land Rover Defender - Corvette LS1 5.7L V8

Post by DaveW »

As I'm still using MS1, the Idle air valve has been a bit of a problem right from the very first LS1 we got running. I've tried a few board designs based on the PWM idle control and have tweaked the software a few times to suit my uses. I've also modified the original "load" function so that it adds a fixed value to the incoming PWM as long as the input is low. This allows me to request an extra fast idle via a switch on the dash for use during and after winching to top the batteries back up.

I had a few problems getting the right step timing for consistent stepping and I also modified the software to turn the power off more pro-actively so both the control board and the motor now run a lot cooler.

I'm not using the closed loop idle with it as this doesn't work too well in the MS1/Extra code and the temperature based idle control has proved to be more than adequate for my needs. The car will now start and idle happily at any temperature from -10C upwards without having to touch the throttle.
viewtopic.php?t=5106
viewtopic.php?t=20094