1959 Austin Healey Sprite 1275cc

Glen Byrns
MegaSquirt Newbie

1959 Austin Healey Sprite 1275cc

Post by Glen Byrns »

I just got the motor running nicely with MS1 v3.0. Good starts, good idle, and finally, the ability to richen up the boosted mix and stop destroying pistons!

Engine is 1275cc A-series, bored to 1300cc, Rayjay turbocharger, Crane 700 ign.(for now, MSnE coming soon!), Ford 1.9L TB and TPS with IAC removed, MSD FP and FPR, single Lucas 44lb/hr hi-impedence injector, Bosch NB O2 sensor, GM sensors for MAP, CLT and IAT. The single injector in between the TB and the turbo, making this a "wet" turbo. So far no pooling problems and great throttle response. Mileage is noticeably up and idle performance is better. So far its been a textbook success story and I'm grinning from ear to ear.

I built from a DIY kit (VERY nice!) and the whole project took about 6 weeks from start to today. I'll be loading the MSnE code and activating spark control on a locked-down distributor with an optical shutter so I can get adjustable timing retard under boost.
Glen Byrns
1959 Austin Healey Sprite (Bugsy)
1959 Morris Traveler woody (Winifred)
1958 Austin A35 saloon (Austin Powerless)
Philip Lochner
Helpful Squirter

Post by Philip Lochner »

Well done Glen!!

I would advise as follows:
1) you change the NB O2 to WBO so you can know what your AFRs are at all times;
2) Do NOT lock the dissy down but DO control timing with MS. Locking the dissy limits the amount of advance and retard you can implement - been there done that. The disadvantage is that your timing map will not show absolute advance figures but only the amount of additional advance or retard. However, this is better than having your spark jump off the rotor to the wrong cyl. THE BEST is to go EDIS!

I suppose that having the injector before the turbo allow LOTS of opportunity for the fuel to vaporise and mix well before getting to the cylinders?
Kind regards
Philip
My MS projects: viewtopic.php?t=20086