Triumph Spitfire 1500

Loren
MegaSquirt Newbie

Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post by Loren »

I've been up and running for a couple months, figured it was about time for me to go public with my "Success Story".

The Car:
1976 Triumph Spitfire
1500 engine
bored .040
shaved and ported head
"fast road" cam
lightened and balanced crank
3.27:1 Differential from a GT6

The Conversion:
MS-II v3
EDIS
Stock single Stromberg manifold modified to bolt to TBI
Ford Tempo TBI unit
Ford Taurus injector (64 lb/hr, I think)
LC-1 Wideband O2 controller
Knocksense knock sensor module

The installation was pretty straightforward once I got the machine work done on the crankshaft pulley (welded a motorcycle sprocket to it) and the intake manifold. Everything is working very well except for the Knocksense, which I just installed and haven't fully debugged and tuned yet. (not it's fault... I did verify that it DOES work, I just don't have MS set up right)

For some reason, my engine behaves almost like a race engine. My engine builder didn't give me any specs on anything. I *think* it's a Kent fast road cam, but who knowns? Also don't know how much the head was shaved, or the block decked, so compression is unknown. It runs great, but has very little vacuum at idle (about 60-70 kPa), and any application of throttle zings it right to 100-110 kPa, which made tuning it for smooth driving nearly impossible using the Speed/Density model. When I switched it to Alpha-N below 2400 rpm and got it tuned properly, it suddenly became civilized and is a very pleasant driving car even idling around in the basement of 2nd gear. I'm very pleased with that!

I've still got a lot of tuning to do to find all of the "power" that is available, but I'm really in no hurry to do it. In fact, once I get the timing sorted out, I'm going to go for "stable" and just leave it alone for a while and enjoy driving it.

Many more details and photos on my blog: http://invisiblesun.org/blog/

Thanks to all in the MS community and the Triumph community who helped get me this far!
pluisje
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post by pluisje »

hi, welcome with the Spitfire,
you might have seen mine;
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=22683

i would be carefull with the sprocket, i must say;

to get it working, i really needed to find the right amound of Volt;

but in the end, i thrown it away,
this isn't really a got possition, because if you push the cluts,
the crankshaft will go forward,
the older the engine, the more forward,
so it will hit the sensor;

but the reall problem was the winter,
below 5 degree C, the engine didn't got enough power to turn on.
so when i left the garage, the car didn't started anymore outside.
not really nice.

i have ordered a reall sprocket for about 35 euro, including sending;
http://trigger-wheels.com/store/index1.html

this time it runs on top;
on a distance about 5mm, the engine started up,
so much better signal.

it wasn't worth saving the 25 euro to me...
Loren
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Loren »

Thought of that. I mounted the sensor on the back side of the pulley instead of the front. Works like a charm, and the sensor gap can only increase as the thrust washers wear on the crankshaft. Might even be an early warning system when it's time to replace the thrust washers!
Sensor_Bracket_Close-Up.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moe
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Moe »

Hi,
I am in the final stages of assembling my Megasquirt Conversion on my 1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500, hopefully for a first test next weekend.

It has
Stage 3 head
Fast road 83 Cam
40Thou overbore
4-2-1 manifold

EDIS ingnition
40mm Weber throttle bodies

I have tested the EDIS running it in conjuction with the the original carbs and all seems OK.

Are you just running a single injector?

I was wondering if you could send me your configuration files (they include the maps don't they?) so I would have a base to work from. I am paranoid about melting something by running it too lean so would like a known running config to work from and yours seems very close to mine.

Thanks Moe.
Loren
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Loren »

Hey, Moe. Sorry I missed your post here, but I replied to your PM the other day. Let me know if you need more info.

Just to update the thread... while the MS conversion was a success, the engine gave up! Specifically, the camshaft. Lifters and camshaft made an ugly mess of each other. I've decided to not spend the money to re-rebuild the 1500. I'm starting on a 2.0 Duratec conversion. In the end, that will be MS, too... should be a MUCH easier MS install, and MUCH more effective than the TBI that I did on the 1500.

Look for a new topic when I get the Duratec up and running!
sprint_turbo1
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by sprint_turbo1 »

Just out of interest, I am just near finishing (enough to get on road) MS upgrade to MS2 V3 on a dolly sprint engine fitted in my 1500. Done it good few years ago now, bit of a development car really. It now runs Kent fast road cam, EDIS Jenvey TB's and intercooled turbo (T3) got mapping to sort out. Was running MS1 last year and it went very well on that approx 160 bhp and 5.5sec 0-60. Great fun with some of the so called GTI's out there!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.