1984 Jaguar XJS V12 5.3L HE (11.5:1 CR)

StevenD57
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1984 Jaguar XJS V12 5.3L HE (11.5:1 CR)

Post by StevenD57 »

macaddict wrote:Ok, I spent some time this evening cleaning up the VE tables, the updated msl files have been uploaded.

- Ross.
I looked at your site and the newest msq file I see is one labeled megasquirt200904050250.msq

Is that the latest or is there a newer one?
--
Steve
Jaguar E-Types, modified Merkur XR4Ti, Jensen-Healey
Linux = no virii or spyware, EVER
macaddict
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by macaddict »

Steve,

That's the latest, or at least it is now. I'd made some changes this evening and accidentally overwrote that file on my laptop, so I uploaded the new file. I added a bit more fuel when cranking in places, adjusted the after-start enrichment values and lowered slightly the IAT fuel compensation values. I had a chance to let it get pretty hot while I was charging the A/C this evening (it hit around 100 today, so I figured it was time to get the climate control working again) and I'd noticed that I was going a little rich when the air intake temperature got high.

Cheers!

- Ross.
1984 Jaguar XJ-S HE (Rosie III) - Megasquirt-II v3.57 fuel+spark
http://crosstalk.splunk.com/~rdykes/jagstuff
bdjuju
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by bdjuju »

macaddict wrote:
- Delco CS-130D alternator in place of the original smog pump

So you didn't have any issues getting thru Calif. emissions testing without that? I'd think that'd cause you to fail the visual test right off the bat & not even get a chance at the sniffer. Anything else missing/different that'd cause raised eyebrows by a smog tech?

Thanks,
Chris
macaddict
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by macaddict »

I have been a bit worried about that, although the smog pump was disconnected and the vacuum advance inoperative the last time it was smogged and it passed both the visual inspection and the sniffer test. The tech opened the hood, muttered something derogatory about British cars and proceeded to check off all of the visual inspection items without giving it a second glance. Getting rid of that damn POS Lucas alternator will be worth the hassle though, that thing was always causing some charging problem and was impossible to get to without crawling under the car.

The other visual differences under the hood are the late model V12 fuel rails and Delphi disc injectors, electric fan setup, Taylor ignition wires and the ignition vacuum advance components being moved from underneath the intake manifold where they were getting baked. The only thing currently not working is the smog pump, but I have a newer electric-driven one off of an XJ6 I'm going to mount underneath the alternator and hook back up. The next time it's up for smog everything should be hooked up where it's supposed to be, so I'm hoping the tech will also not want to dig too far into it.

The new injectors appear to have improved throttle response and allow me to run the thing really lean at cruise without surging (around 16:1 is what I can push it to when playing with it, with the old injectors it was unhappy even at 14.7:1.) Fuel economy is about the same though, as is WOT performance. It does start more easily though, the saturated coil injectors pull less power and run cooler, and there's far less rubber in the fuel system now. There are some lousy cell-phone camera images of the install here:

http://crosstalk.atomz.com/~ross/jagstu ... r_install/

- Ross.
tobmag
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by tobmag »

Hi Macaddict, was trying to look at your MSQ files but they are aperently locked?
Just starting fitting a MSII with wasted spark on my -76 XJ12 so it would be nice to see your settings.

BR//Tobmag
macaddict
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by macaddict »

Sorry about that! I forgot to reset the file permissions the last time I uploaded my msq files, it should be working now. Be aware that I'm not doing ignition control yet, so anything in the advance table is likely to be garbage.

I did pick up a new Marelli crank damper, I'm going to try and mount a 36-1 trigger wheel to it and swap it out the next time I have the radiator out for some reason. Then I'll be able to go with a wasted spark setup, or at the very least use the MS-II to control ignition timing with the stock distributor.
tobmag
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by tobmag »

Thanks MCAddict
StevenD57
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by StevenD57 »

macaddict wrote:
The new injectors appear to have improved throttle response and allow me to run the thing really lean at cruise without surging (around 16:1 is what I can push it to when playing with it, with the old injectors it was unhappy even at 14.7:1.) Fuel economy is about the same though, as is WOT performance. It does start more easily though, the saturated coil injectors pull less power and run cooler, and there's far less rubber in the fuel system now. There are some lousy cell-phone camera images of the install here:

http://crosstalk.atomz.com/~ross/jagstu ... r_install/

- Ross.
Ross:
Are the delphi injectors low impedance or high impedance injectors? I am thinking about replacing the OEM injectors with the stupid hoses with normal Bosch injectors but as I understand it Megasquirt is better at handling/driving high Z injectors.

Did you ever get around to doing the crank fired ignition?

BTW, I have gotten EDIS crank fired ignition done on my 4 cylinder Jensen-Healey with the Lotus 907 motor. I am using a MS1 v2.2 right now. I have the EFI bits in progress as that is the next project. The coil pack crank fired ignition has made a very noticeable improvement to the car.
--
Steve
macaddict
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by macaddict »

Steve,

The injectors are 14.5 ohm, the OEM application was a 1995 Ford Mustang 3.8. The ECU is definitely happier with the high Z injectors, there was noticeably less noise on the sensor feeds after the conversion. The new injectors do flow slightly less so I had to adjust the maps accordingly, but the original ECU can still run the car if necessary. I've got about 10,000 miles on the new injectors now and haven't had a problem yet, although my injector wiring harness (still original) is starting to come apart and really needs to be replaced.

I haven't converted to crank-fired ignition yet, although I did acquire a spare engine that has the VR sensor mount on the front timing cover and the Marelli damper which should make it look relatively stock. I'm in the process of rebuilding the spare engine now so I was going to hold off on the crank trigger setup until I either finish the engine or give up and just use the cover and damper. I do have all the bits needed to go with a 7-pin HEI setup in the interim (spare distributor w/locked out advance and Corvette TPI module) but I haven't come up with a graceful way to hold the pickup coil and provide some adjustment so I can set the relationship between the rotor and cap terminals to provide the needed range of advance. It also wouldn't be as much of an improvement as individual coil packs or wasted spark and wouldn't necessarily be more reliable than the stock system. I'm leaning towards using GM 2.8/3.1L V6 DIS modules and packs when the time comes as I'm more familiar with GM engine management systems, but then the smog check question arises again.

How did you mount the crank angle sensor to the Lotus block? Are you considering sequential injection with the msextra code? I've been looking into building a sequential setup for the XJ-S, but I'd need to cut my own board (and/or use two MS-II's) and significantly modify the msextra software to get it to drive 12 injectors individually. I was going to start digging into the msextra 3 code during the holiday break and possibly convert the existing setup to msextra so I can play with it a bit.

- R
StevenD57
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by StevenD57 »

I have seen videos from the Megasqauirt meet this past summer and the developers of the code for MS3 did an extended talk. In that talk they stated one of their goals is to have sequential code for V12 motors in the near future. Now I know how this works with the Megasquirt development. The squeaky wheels get the oil. Unless a lot of us V12 owners actually pipe up and say we want this and will assist with testing we are not going to get pushed to the top of the heap for feature implementation. I think we should start a thread requesting this over in the MS3 forum and a few of us contribute to asking for the same feature in that discussion thread.

I had three bolts on the front of the block that I was able to use as attachment points for the VR sensor bracket. They were situated in a rough triangular shape so I came up with a rough design that I mocked up on a spare short block on an engine stand. Then I took the rough draft and the whole spare short block on the engine stand to an aluminum fabricator who made the final design.

I have a few spare V12 ECUs so I was going to start on trying to emulate your fuel only setup as a starting point. I have a spare fuel rail for the late facelift cars for the regular injectors that eliminate the short rubber hoses but it needs special hose connectors that use square shaped viton o-rings and I am not sure where to get barbed hose connectors that will screw into the fuel rail to make a good leak-free connection. How did you get your late fuel rail connected to the rest of the system (supply and return stuff)?

I have several sets of normal injectors so I have to get them flow tested & cleaned so I have a matched set to start with. What was the flow rate in lbs/hr on the delphi injectors you used?