Philip Lochner
Helpful Squirter

Cobra kit kar: Powered by Jaguar V12

Post by Philip Lochner »

Vehicle: Cobra replica - never driven under own power
Video:
First start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIfLgFaOXZI
First drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKM4_y5clsc
Chassis and body: Made by Backdraft Racing (http://www.backdraftracing.co.za/)
Suspension: BMW E36 (power steering)
Engine: 5.3L V12 HE 12.5:1 CR Mechanically standard
Gearbox: TH400 3 speed Auto with shift kit
Injection: Port injection (12 x low impedance injectors, 6 per injectors per output)
Spark: Dual EDIS-6 systems with blue 8mm Magnecor HT leads ( with "DESC" module to re-time SAW signal for B-bank)
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXVVkrybNpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7AiwIb-R08
ECU: MS-2/Extra 2.1.0d on V3 board with continuous Baro, dual WBOs. Controls spark and fuel.
Other features: Adjustable driver seat; functional cold air intakes at "gills" behind front wheels;
Comment: I bought the car with complete chassis and body. Needed to install engine/gearbox, steering, electrics and dash.
Other MS projects::
Land Rover V8 4.6 : viewtopic.php?t=17941
Land Rover V8 3.9 : viewtopic.php?t=22468

17 Jan 2010
Now the power steering also works! Turns out it was the pump with a problem.

15 Jan 2010
Now its been up to 150km/h... :lol: Still trying to spare the engine with those fresh big-ends. Turned out it was not the wheel bearings but the stud nuts being too long and bottoming out in the recesses in the wheel. Cut their heads off and now its sorted. Took it for wheel alignment and found that the rear wheels have excessive toe-in and not being able to adjust it without first grinding out the suspension mount bolt holes = more work. :evil:

11 Jan 2010
Took the car for two drives today. Fastest its been is 100km/h, and highest rpm = 5000rpm (very briefly). When it gets to 2500rpm "things start happening " :yeah!: Kickdown on gearbox also works. Right front wheel bearings need replacement (suspension used and stood for 3 - 4 years). Need to buy 46mm socket to do that. Will replace both sides. Engine seems to become livelier as time goes on. Diff ratio is a bit too tall for my liking: 100km/h = 2200rpm. Will investigate availability of higher diff ratios. Busy making a new injector harness with connectors bought from DelCity (US).

9 Jan 2010
Today the V12 started! It started surprisingly quick and with very little drama and smoke. I having oiled the sleeves well before refitting the heads I expected quite a bit of smoke but there was not much.

So, the exhaust valve on #4A was stuck open and my attempt to "fix" it resulted in breaking the valve which of course I did not know, so I attempted to start the engine. After only half a turn, it jammed solid. That's when I realised that the valve had not jumped back but had in fact broken off. Only when I removed the head did I see that the broken valve had also punched a hole in the piston :oops:

Fortunately I had a "scrap" HE engine on hand so I used a good piston from that engine with the original 4A rings...

Now I still have to get the power steering sorted and the gearbox. Gearbox fluid level is very low (below dipstick tip) so there is hope that once I top it up, I'll have drive.

14 Nov 09
We'll, as you can see in the video, it started.... but.....

It was only running on 9 of 12 cylinders. After a long search, I found that cyl 4A had 0 compression due to an exhaust valve stuck in the wide open position (visible through the spark plug opening). This seemed to affect cyls 5 and 6 as well since they appeared dead as well. In trying to get the stuck valve unstuck, I managed to break the valve and now I have to replace the heads with reconditioned heads I took off a scrap engine I have (fortunately). This work will only be done 2nd half of December 09.

13 Nov 09
The car is ready for "the start" on Saturday. Tomorrow I have to :
1) reroute the fuel return pipe;
2) check brake lights;
3) open up idle air screw(to ensure high idle speed when starts - for quick oil prime and pressure)
4) think what else I've forgotten

10 Nov 09
Hoping to start the car on Saturday 14 Nov 09. Still need to do a few things and test all electrical systems
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Philip Lochner on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kind regards
Philip
My MS projects: viewtopic.php?t=20086
preludefan
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Cobra kit kar: Powered by Jaguar V12

Post by preludefan »

very nice! im so jealous!!! its said that if you have any self respect that you will own a v12 engined car before you die- and a v12 in a cobra? you have achieved automotive greatness my friend!!
i love the raspy sound the jag engines have too!
Philip Lochner
Helpful Squirter

Post by Philip Lochner »

preludefan wrote:i love the raspy sound the jag engines have too!
Thanks! Getting a good sound for the Cobra was my biggest fear about the whole project. The car now has the exhaust system I wanted and the sound is indeed "most acceptable". Quiet at idle but with a distinct non-V8, non-V6, non-4cyl sound, so then, what is it? Driven sedately, the sound is quiet enough to not cause a headache but still sounds V12-like but when given "the foot", it leaves no doubt that this is a V12 and lets the world know that in no uncertain terms. :yeah!: :yeah!:
Kind regards
Philip
Art Dickenson
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Art Dickenson »

Great work Phillip......do you have vid clips on youtube or similar. :D Art
Art Dickenson
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Art Dickenson »

Hi Phillip, I see now you have a few listed, will check out,,,,,,..Art
Philip Lochner
Helpful Squirter

Post by Philip Lochner »

Today the car became road legal!! You should see me smile... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards
Philip