Jaguar E-type Series3 V12

Philip Lochner
Helpful Squirter

Jaguar E-type Series3 V12

Post by Philip Lochner »

Last update: 24 May 2011

Pictures of the conversion: http://tinyurl.com/252cqwt (more as attachments to this post but you must be registered to see them)
Video* driving the car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP1mN5l_bc0
* This was before a big-end bearing seized onto the crank compliments of PO incident where the car was driven without oil. Have now rebuilt the engine as an HE engine with 11.5:1 CR and HE heads. Need to make a new video now but the tacho is still acting up and engine still needs to run in. 17 Mar 2011.

Vehicle: Jaguar E-type S3 V12 1971 OTS (Open top two seater / Cabriolet)
Engine: 5.3L V12 Pre-HE 9:1 CR Mechanically standard - converted to EFI (http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_vi ... 1270231657) It is now 5.3 HE 11.5:1 after the re-build.
Gearbox: Original 4speed manual
Injection: Port injection (12 x low impedance injectors, 6 per injectors per output) as from HE engine
Spark: Dual EDIS-6 systems with blue 8mm Magnecor HT leads ( with self developed "DESC" module to re-time SAW signal for B-bank)
ECU: MS-2/Extra 2.1.0d on V3 board with continuous Baro, dual WBOs. Controls spark and fuel.
Other MS projects::
Jaguar XJS V12: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=20086
Cobra V12: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=22908
Land Rover V8 4.6 : viewtopic.php?t=17941
Land Rover V8 3.9 : viewtopic.php?t=22468
More info at my own website: http://www.jaguardiy.net

General comment
Its running now! I have converted the engine from 4xSU carbs to my tried and tested MS2/dual EDIS-6 recipe using the EFI bits off an HE engine ex Daimler Double 6 and the in-tank submerged fuel pump (to keep it quiet) for an early Range Rover 3.5 EFI.

The purists will shout "Sacrilege"!!! Well, as long as this car is in my possession, I want to enjoy driving it and I do not want my life complicated by those overly rich carbs. If this engine should become anything like the XJS, the E-type should become great fun indeed. To my defense, I have done this conversion such that it can be reverted back to original and will keep all the original bits if the next owner is that way inclined.

24 May 2011
Implemented Launch control and flat shift. As with everything MS, fine tuning is required, more so on launch control than flat shift. The clutch pedal has to move too far from when the switch has been released to where it starts taking that by that time the revs are at 6k already. I need to find a way of setting the exact point where the switch releases.

12 May 2011
Well, the tacho is actually STILL not working reliably. Sometimes I can get it to work for a while by pressing the horn... go figure. Other times, tapping the glass gets it to work - just like in a WW2 movie...

7 April 2010
Today, I managed to fix the tacho not working and found out why... The PWM used by Megasquirt to control the LoZ injectors resulted in noise from the injectors entering the DESC module and caused it to stop functioning. I found this out when I saw that the tacho would drop dead as I connected the injectors! This in turn, resulted in the tacho dropping dead ( since no tach signal was being received from DESC) and also the B-bank would default to 10 degrees (consequence of DESC going dead with noise and not sending SAW to B-bank), which resulted in loss of power.

I added larger input capacitors to my DESC module and also added a 1uH inductor on the 12V line power input to DESC and that solved both problems.

Went for a short drive (with my dear wife) and subsequently drove rather sedately but pushed it once and found that it pulled clean to about 5k rpm. The tacho did hesitate twice on its way there so now I have to see it its still noise issues or if this is now mechanical in nature (has the tach ever been this high ??)

5 April 2010
Weird, tacho works 100% when in the garage with ignition system fully functional (using my grinder with trigger wheel to stimulate the ignition system, with fuel pump and injectors disconnected) but out on the road the tacho works intermittently and the car still jerks.

4 April 2010
Got the tacho working tonight and also found out that the settings for EDIS was incorrect on Megasquirt - one of those inexplicable things... Anyway, this gives me A LOT of hope that the car is now fully sorted and that the in-tank (ex Range Rover 3.5V8) fuel pump will in fact be up to the task of fueling the 5.3 V12. Can't wait for tomorrow!

2 April 2010
Tidied up a few wires, connected the E original trumpets to the air cleaners and refitted the bonnet - only to find that the air cleaner housings interfered with the inner wheel wells on both sides but more so on the left. Ideal would be to move the air filter housing further to the rear but I'll leave that for another day. For now I'm butchering the air cleaner until it fits.

1 April 2010 - And this is no joke...
Took the car for its first drive with the EFI conversion today after bleeding the brakes, clutch and topping up the gearbox. The drive was a very cautious one as I did not know how the brakes would do. I did after all replace master cylinder, servo cylinder and overhauled the servo itself so the braking system had to prove itself first. Also I dont have the WBO fitted yet so I cant tell what the AFRs are doing. The tank was rather empty and I know that the fuel could wash to the rear and cause the pump to suck air and lose pressure.

29 March 2010
Engine is back in. Busy with last items. Hoping to start coming Saturday.
Pictures: http://www.jag-lovers.org/v.htm?1269854779

5 Feb 2010
Engine is out at the moment having to fix exhaust manifold studs, gearbox and diff leaks. Will also be fitting the dual VR sensors while I've got access to the crank pulley.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Philip Lochner on Tue May 24, 2011 8:38 am, edited 15 times in total.
Kind regards
Philip
My MS projects: viewtopic.php?t=20086
PepeFennelly
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Jaguar E-type S3 V12

Post by PepeFennelly »

Philip:

Great job on the E-type. I've been following your steps and I'm looking at doing a conversion to FI on my series III. Please keep us informed with your progress and pictures.
Thanks,
Pepe
Lakewood, Colorado
Philip Lochner
Helpful Squirter

Post by Philip Lochner »

Thanks Pepe

Anything you need, just ask.
Kind regards
Philip
Jagboi
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Jagboi »

Phillip,

Did you machine off the groove for the alternator belt to mount the toothed wheel, or is the alternator belt still driven off the crankshaft damper? I'm looking at doing this coversion to an HE engine and noticed that you've mounted this bracket against the block and the other ones you did was mounted on a tensioner arm. Have you found one arrangement superior to the other?

Thanks,
Craig
90 Daimler DS420 (to become a DS530?)
Philip Lochner
Helpful Squirter

Post by Philip Lochner »

Hi Craig

Are YOU the guy wanting to build a V12 into a DS!!?? :lol:

I did machine off the groove for the alternator belt (on an HE crank damper) in order to mount the trigger wheel, but remember, this is on an E-type that does not even have a groove there on the std XKE pulley. The XKE has a very different belt arrangement to the XJS/DD6/XJ12 and that is why on my other cars I have mounted the triggerwheel on the very front of the pulley and this is why I'm using the ex-fan belt tensioner arm to mount the VR sensors. Please note this is only only possible (on the XJS at least) once the main radiator fan has been converted to electrical.

I certainly feel more confident with the bracket against the block on the E (no adjustments possible) but the tensioner arrangement has now done duty for almost 4 years without any issues to date.

Best regards
Philip
Kind regards
Philip
Jagboi
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Jagboi »

Hi Philip,

Yes that was me. Is the bracket you used the same as the dimensioned diagram on Jag-lovers? I'm talking to a machinist about getting a bracket made, and wondered how close your drawing was to the block mounted bracket.

Thanks,
Craig
Philip Lochner
Helpful Squirter

Post by Philip Lochner »

Jagboi wrote:Yes that was me. Is the bracket you used the same as the dimensioned diagram on Jag-lovers? I'm talking to a machinist about getting a bracket made, and wondered how close your drawing was to the block mounted bracket.
Hi Craig

Are you referring to this diagram? http://www.jag-lovers.org/include/iv3.p ... YCxwsAx4jR

If so, then no, the bracket for the E is significantly different, even the position of the holes for the VR sensors. In case of the E the diameter of the trigger wheel is different and therefore the position of the VR sensor holes must also be different. The bracket on the E is more like this one: http://www.jag-lovers.org/include/iv3.p ... BIoQ%3D%3D

But even that is not the final product (forgot to take a pic of the final product) as the lower left corner (with bolt) has been cut away as well since that corner is not in the same vertical plane as the top left one (on the engine's timing cover). I ended up using the "big hole" instead for mounting purposes. If you intend using the exact same dimensions trigger wheel as I've used, then you can use my bracket as well but the slightest change in diameter on the trigger wheel causes changes to the position of the VR sensor holes.

Please note that you also need to be sure that the VR sensors will not interfere with other bits once in position. Eg , I know that this bracket will not work on my DD6 (or XJS) because they will be way of the V-belt driving the alternator (which uses the same groove that was machined away for the pulley).
Kind regards
Philip
Jagboi
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Jagboi »

Philip Lochner wrote:[Hi Craig

Are you referring to this diagram? http://www.jag-lovers.org/include/iv3.p ... YCxwsAx4jR

Please note that you also need to be sure that the VR sensors will not interfere with other bits once in position. Eg , I know that this bracket will not work on my DD6 (or XJS) because they will be way of the V-belt driving the alternator (which uses the same groove that was machined away for the pulley).
Yes, that is the diagram I was thinking of. I will be using an HE engine out of a DD6, so that's what I need it to fit. Looks like a fiend is parting out an 86 and I can probably have the engine out of that car.
Philip Lochner
Helpful Squirter

Post by Philip Lochner »

In that case, as long as you use a trigger wheel with the exact same diameter (144mm), you can use it - and should end up with a 2mm gap between sensors and triggerwheel.

I recon your idea of a V12'ed DS is excellent!! That car deserves the V12 (with twin turbo's). Its only space on all my V12's that has stopped me from fitting turbos to them.

Best regards
Philip
Kind regards
Philip
Jagboi
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Jagboi »

I'll have to measure the wheel I plan on using. It was a Ford wheel, off a Focus I think. Might have been a Taurus, I'll need another trip to the junkyard to find out.
I think the V12 will make a nice modification to the DS, but I can see why Jaguar didn't do it originally, as most cars were sold to Funeral Directors. You don't need a lot of power at funeral procession speeds!

Craig