Started this project in August last year, but only really started installing about March 2011.
Already had one try at starting, but failed. I then refitted the carbs. I was going away on holiday and couldn't leave the car where it was.
Then work got in the way and it was untouched for about 3 weeks. Finally retrieved it from storage about 10 days ago and restarted work.
I'd decided to redesign the fuel layout, I believed the old layout was faulty and the cause of the non-start.
Finally finished that and today after finishing work early, decided to check the fuel system for leaks.
One injector was leaking very badly from the seat in the manifold, removed it and swapped its position with another injector, leak cured!
With everything plugged in and good fuel pressure, I decided to “give it a go”,..............and got nothing!
I checked the spark, (surprisingly hard to do by yourself!), that was OK.
I knew fuel was getting to the injectors, I'd seen it leaking past one, so perhaps the injectors weren't opening?
As I stood there, pondering how to check that the injectors were working, I realized that I hadn't actually plugged the Megasquirt ECU in!
Fired up first turn of the key and pulled quite cleanly, considering that it's not been tuned at all!
I think I'll audition for the Muppet show, should get a starring role! Though, in my defence, I did get up at 02.45 to go to work.
Next steps are, throttle cable, wiring tidy up and the next big learning curve, tuning,
Where's that serial cable gone to?
One very steep learning curve later and It's running well!
I've been through a ECU scramble caused by a voltage spike and a period when I could only get the engine to run on 3 cylinders.
The spike was probably caused by the old fashioned Lucas alternator and must have affected the saved files too, because re-loading the earlier saved tuning files couldn't get the engine running! Wasn't till Phill at ExtraEFI sent my a new tuning file that I was able to re-start.
The running on only 3 cylinders was simply caused by a loose connection, a simple fault which took some time to find, because I assumed something was wrong with the program or files!
The MS is now protected from spikes by a 40 amp filter on the power source.
2 issues now remain, hunting and surging on a cold start and a minor problem with TunerStudio locking up.
Phill at ExtraEFI has been great, very patient and quick to respond to questions or problems, highly recommended.
If I was to do it over, I'd use a relay board. It'd save a lot of time and wouldn't cost much more then buying the components separately.
I'd also change the mechanical layout slightly, to improve the packaging, but as that only applies to people who are MSing a Big Six Triumph saloon, I'll save that for the the Triumph forums!
Thanks to everyone who helped, either on the MS boards or the Triumph forums.