GTS1000 on MicroSquirt running MSExtra

R100RT
Helpful Squirter

Re: GTS1000

Post by R100RT »

Well, actually haven't tried it with Tuner Studio with this lap top, I will.
I was using both T.S. and M.T. successfully last year on an older Dell with XP. I suspect it has something to do now with the serial/usb adaptor, as the usage of that is the only time I've seen the shut down, blue screen, and small line at the bottom indicating that a physical memory dump to disc is taking place. The only other clues are a bit of a challenge in com port selection, and the tuning page gauges flicker every now and then (never did that before).
A lap top with serial port may prove an easier solution in the long run, I hate having to reboot and all when a tuning session ceases suddenly while on the road.
24c
Helpful Squirter

Laptop USB/Serial alternatives

Post by 24c »

I have an ExpressCard to Serial adaptor, not tried it yet though, which is possibly another option or another PCI slot derivative if you've got one.
24c
Helpful Squirter

Post by 24c »

i couldn't do anything on the red GTS1000, as the dyno is being tweaked again. I have to chop out some concrete and mod the inlet air duct to take a pusher fan in the floor space underneath the dyno platform. I have ordered a new fan, and I tested the principle with a small extractor fan. It seems to work, and I can add more power/flow later if required. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I drove over to a mates' house, and fitted the MicroSquirt to the black GTS1000 and it fired, but didn't catch straight away. This WUE/ASE adjustment is a black art, but he commented it wasn't smelling as rich as before.

We also tweaked his workshop to make space for the Thunderace engined bike, plus he dug out an FZR EXUP exhaust to mod again, although I have a stainless 304 Delkevic Thunderace system lying around to mod also.

The green GTS1000 with the Thunderace engine in, was short of a few parts, as it had been cannibalised (it's been stood three years), however a few tweaks, it now just needs a crank sensor, an oil change and a set of plugs. I have a fuel pump & filter at hand if need be...who knows this'll be running by next weekend too! I also have a battle plan to get it up & running quickly. This bike needs to get up to speed, as my buddy will be taking it to the Treffen in exhaust, I might even have a stainless replacement exhaust strapped on the back to sell, but the idea is to take to MSExtra GTS1000s over the water...those autobahns are so appealing!

I couldn't do it today, as I was working later.
R100RT
Helpful Squirter

Post by R100RT »

Sounds like you have a lot of bikes on the go there. Where do you hail from? I'm in Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver area.
Are you anticipating putting a "Kit" together to offer up for that style of Bike?
I don't have any such ambitions, the old BMW's (called Air Heads) are hoarded and rode by fervent purists that will most likely take a very dim (but slightly jealous) view of what I'm doing/ have done with my bike.
As well, I did try the Tuner Studio with my new lap top and it too went into "blue screen" mode and shut down after a few minutes being linked. I am now going to use an older unit that has a serial port on it, having reviewed older posts whereby others seemed to have similar issues and spent significant time trying to get it to work.
I remembered why I had stuck with the MegaTune, had to do with repeated tuning time in the VE tables and that those were considerably larger and hence easier to see and select spot changes as I rode the bike.
Good luck with your dyno.
Lorne.
24c
Helpful Squirter

Re: GTS1000 (OT) fluff

Post by 24c »

I'm in the UK, near Manchester now and I have a few of the same bikes lying around, but before this I messed with various car engines Fiat Twin cams, 4x4 Pandas! (105mph N/A 954cc) & even Panhard 850cc air cooled twins that have a lot in common (crank construction) with the R50 BMW except the valve gear. Unfortunately, the folks who own these things can be fervent purists too...so I got back into motorcycling, and much to the wifes' disdain, the first big bike I got, I tweaked on somebody elses dyno, and haven't stopped.

I like these heavy bikes, immensely stable, but very capable if you be bothered, and seriously underpowered/restricted by a non-programmable ECU, which is where the MicroSquirt came in. However the arrival of the MicroSquirt Module means I am contemplating a drop in replacement ECU. In fact nearly all I do with old cars/bikes involves making new replacement/upgrade parts that do not destroy the originals.

As to putting a kit together, I'm not sure, as I have been burned with projects before, and sometimes the regular day job, that gives you play time is a better option.
24c
Helpful Squirter

Red GTS1000 running MSExtra using cased MicroSquirt day 14

Post by 24c »

I think I'm up to day 14 now.
Tried to cold start the red GTS1000 again, different temperature (warmer), I tweaked the ASE (23 to 40%) and reduced the WUE accordingly. Engine fired up and held on hitting the start button, and the warm up revs are lower again, nearer 2000 than 3+K earlier!

I just needed to tweak it further as it started to warm up. Stopped the session, and loaded the stainless Thunderace exhaust into the car for further modding at my mates workshop, and also the spare USB/serial adaptor and programming cable to set up the other cased MicroSquirt.

Whilst I was back at the dyno, I dry fitted the burnt out extract fan into it's new position, and double checked everything was OK, so when the new fan comes, I can be operational and testing again.
dyno_pit.jpg

and there is no chance of this happening again...
gas_mark_6.jpg

Next up is to look for some default AFR tables with respect to RPM, as I need to add the settings for cruising, max power etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
24c
Helpful Squirter

Re: GTS1000 on MicroSquirt running MSExtra day 15

Post by 24c »

I managed to drop by the dyno today, and loaded the revised WUE and ASE graphs into the MicroSquirt. I also modified the priming pulsewidths, and surprisingly, the bike started after a few churns, less than two seconds, and held on the warm up cycle no problems. :yeah!:

Curves for reference....latest curves on the left. Big difference on warm up from cold start. Essentially cranking PW & ASE increased, but WUE reduced. Cold starts have improved...but still work in progress, looking to refine further.
Screen shot 2010-03-25 at 19.39.02.png
Screen shot 2010-03-25 at 19.41.44.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
24c
Helpful Squirter

Re: GTS1000 on MicroSquirt running MSExtra day 16

Post by 24c »

More cold starting refinements...

In a back to back, the revised WUE & ASE percentages are still too rich, compared to the OEM ECU, so I am reducing these further gradually. I suppose I am lucky and can do a back to back, but maybe I should be datalogging the OEM pulsewidths and feeding these back into MSExtra settings, although this gives you the total PW and not a breakdown for WUE & ASE etc.
Screen shot 2010-03-28 at 21.02.41.png
24c
Helpful Squirter

Re: GTS1000 on MicroSquirt running MSExtra day 17

Post by 24c »

Another cold start, and another day goes by!

The bike eventually ran on the revised settings based on the New Features section in the Service Manual, but it needed more WUE to get going once it fired. Interestingly, I noticed the ASE was only lasting for a short time, and I think I have to understand why it is not holding out for longer. As you can see it is a lot leaner all over in the WUE and ASE curves now.
WUE-ASE.png
Also when it was cold and even more so when it was getting warmer, there was less richness coming out of the exhaust when blipping the throttle. Still not quite as good as the OEM ECU though, but bike sounds crisper from start.

Another thing I noticed was the cam lobe was hitting the cam sensor, but if I increased the clearance slightly, it wouldn't detect cranking RPMs.
I tried making a gasket using thin wire (solder), but it wasn't really good enough.

This is not good for the cased MicroSquirt on the GTS1000, but it does mean I will have to look at increasing the voltage generated by the sensor, or increasing the sensitivity of the VR2+ circuit sooner rather than later on the MicroSquirt Module using ALT_CAM or a cased MicroSquirt if I'm feeling brave.

On the other hand the Thunderace engine doesn't need it, unless I want to go sequential on the injection, which I am not doing or need to do at the moment.
24c
Helpful Squirter

Re: GTS1000 on MicroSquirt running MSExtra

Post by 24c »

Despite not having the laptop with me I tried to cold start the bike today, but it was a no go initially...stank of fuel. OEM ECU fired it up straight away, so obviously, I am still too rich, and I need to sort out the cam sensor to lobe clearance.

I have decided to play with the Thunderace or FZR crank code over Easter break, as I need to build up my MicroSquirt Module unit to experiment with the ALT_CAM settings with the stock VR cam sensor on the GTS1000. I have asked the question on the MicroSquirt forum re modding R48 on the VR2+ circuit, but as of yet there have been no replies. The Thunderace engined GTS really needs an exhaust on it, if I am not going to upset the neighbours, and rather than remove the front end to fit the system, I am going to use an engine crane and pull the rear up and feed the system underneath the bike. :)

Great news today, as the final piece of the replacement ECU project came in the post today, the DIYPNP Nippon Denso connector adaptor boards. I have cut one down to fit into the case, and still keep the ECU connector in the same place. I also have room for the MicroSquirt Module (white) and Jean Bélangers' 4 Channel Driver Board (light green).
MicroSquirt Module in ECU case-test fit.jpg