Triumph 885 Tripple

Sin_Tiger
MegaSquirt Newbie

Triumph 885 Tripple

Post by Sin_Tiger »

Unsure if this is the best place to ask but here goes.

I have searched for referrences to the above motorcycle engine without luck.

The motorcycle in question is a 1996 Triumph Tiger with a carburetored 885cc three cylinder engine. This bike is of the type often referred to as an Adventure Tourer or Big Trailie, this particular model is often affectionately called a "Steamer". These bikes were manufactured between 1992 - 1998 when the next generation supersceeded it with revised design using the same 885cc three cylinder engine in fuel injected format, the engine capacity was raised to 955cc in 2000 till 2006, these models used a modified Sagem ECU specific to Triumph to the best of my knowledge, this model range is often referred to as a Girlie. The latest model of Tiger from 2007 on uses basically the same engine with increased capacity of 1050cc and uses a Triumph specific Keihin ECU.

I own a 1996 885cc carb version which I am about to totally rebuild. My intention, if it appears practical, is to modify the engine to EFI utilising the mechanical components from later models and control the system with MS. I am based in Singapore although I travel to the UK occasionally.

I would be grateful for advice and or pointing in the right direction to begin my quest. My apologies if this not the best place to start and will not be offended if told so or the moderators choose to move this positng.

TIA
Niall
lev
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Triumph 885 Tripple

Post by lev »

Hi Sin_Tiger.
I've recently start to fuel inject my 98' Thunderbird Sport. The engine is very simile to yours. You must consider many things before start to buy parts. I've used the 955i Daytona throttle bodies adopted for the T-Bird's rubber intakes. The throttle bodies was complete with injectors and TPS. The next serious problem is the fuel pump. At my first try I've used an external Walbro pump with a custom fuel pressure regulator, without return line. It was a messy system, the pump was too big, the 14A/h battery wasn't enough powerful and the tanks pipe at 5000RPM can't drive enough fuel. So now I'm making a custom carbon-fiber fuel tank with a built-in pump. I've chosed the old Suzuki TL's pump, because its oval and fits better with the frame off the bike.

Some photos.

kholman
Site Admin

Re: Triumph 885 Tripple

Post by kholman »

Correct. This should be posted at msefi.com. Topic will be locked but remain for you to gather the info in the reply above.
Forum Admin Team