1986 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 Turbo EFI

presbychuck
MegaSquirt Newbie

1986 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 Turbo EFI

Post by presbychuck »

I turbocharged my 1986 Concours 1000 about two years ago and did so blowing through the stock CV 32mm carbs up to 12psi boost. The bike has performed well other than the typical carbs that plague old carbed motorcycles... leaky float valves. I decided to go Microsquirt and finally have the bike running. Tuning is now begun in earnest.

My setup:
MSD fuel pump
Mallory regulator
2003 ZX636R Throttle bodies with spacing adjusted to fit.
Microsquirt with BG 2.890
Home produced urethane manifolds.
Home spun turbo header, plenum, and plumbing
Garrett T-25 turbo 53mm comp wheel
presbychuck
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1986 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 Turbo EFI

Post by presbychuck »

Over a year now squirting my Turbo Concours and loving it. Finally decided to step up to spark as well and am having fits trying to run the Dual Spark setup. The bike fires, but when seems to be sporadic. I've been trying to run the stock single toothed wheel and twin VR sensors and then send logic level signal to a Nissan ignitor to fire four COPs in wasted spark, but all I've been able to get so far is a couple of backfires and a broken starter chain. I think the long tooth trigger is causing some problems so I tried reducing it to the width of the VR sensor. Still no joy though. I may try another trigger and VR sensor setup if I cannot get this to work. I've searched th eforums for dual spark info but cannot seem to find hardly any at all.
24c
Helpful Squirter

Post by 24c »

presbychuck wrote:... I think the long tooth trigger is causing some problems so I tried reducing it to the width of the VR sensor.......
It will be just this, there is on the MIcroSquirt forum ZGRX1000 who was having the same problems, and it was suggested he removes the long tooth. He has bought a different crank trigger and is modding it to be a true 8-1. There is also a another guy on the MSExtra forums GSXRMatt? who has a developed a long tooth trigger hardware solution, but it's probably a little too technical for most casual users.
24c
Helpful Squirter

Post by 24c »

Check out this thread here.

This guy got his Kawasaki to start reliably, and he's one happy dude now. :)
nich
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by nich »

What are the specs on that msd fuel pump?