Honda GoldWing 1981 GL1100 4 cylinder

socrace
MegaSquirt Newbie

Honda GoldWing 1981 GL1100 4 cylinder

Post by socrace »

This conversion has been running pretty well with a different ecu, but recently switched it over to microsquirt. On both ecus, the system has been fuel only with waste fire ignition being handled by the stock Honda dual crank pickups. Here is a link to a description of the build (microsquirt info being towards the end):
http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=25983
Here's a recent photo of the engine:
Excuse the rust and dirt, this is a daily driver (during Illinois summer at least).
The crank signal for the ecu is picked up from the single ballast resistor feeding the waste-fire coils. This gives one ignition pulse per 180 deg crank, just like a 4 cylinder distributor with single points. Could have used the cheaper megasquirt I with this arrangement, but the microsquirt should allow full ignition control, which is on the agenda for this winter.
Since I had well tuned maps developed for the other ecu, was able to convert them over to microsquirt format and have some reasonable maps to start out with. Winter hit before I could do much datalogging, but they seemed ok (the translated maps and enrichments are included in the link above). The other ecu had full sequential fuel, but the batch fire microsquirt seems to idle and run just as well.
Roostre
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Honda GoldWing 1981 GL1100 4 cylinder

Post by Roostre »

Awesome job! I have a '79 GL1000 that I am considering using microsquirt on.

How does the bike differ from when you had carbs on it as far as low end performance? Top end?

Again, great job!
socrace
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by socrace »

Yes, got it running as well as possible using the stock carbs and ignition before converting to efi. Mainly did this to make sure there were no hidden mechanical issues. Cleaning the carbs was a real pain, first carbs I'd worked on in a long time and they were in bad shape!
When fully warmed up, the efi and carb versions are hard to tell apart. I think the engine runs a little smoother with efi, although the goldwing was designed to be ridiculously vibration free already.
Since the original posting of this project, have mounted a 36-1 trigger wheel, converted to msextra code, and now running 4 channel ignition control in "cop waste fire" mode. But, since I'm also running IAC and cooling fan control, am running a little short of standard output channels for doing sequential injection, but working on a few ideas!
96halx
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 96halx »

Hey socrace, I was wondering if you had a detailed write-up on the trigger wheel conversion? I have an 83 650 Nighthawk (not sure if they have ever made a less supported engine :? ) that I'm wanting to control fuel and spark on for a turbo build. Any info/tips/pointers you have on the conversion would be massively appreciated :D